Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Universal Rocks Magnetic 3D Background

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Universal Rocks Magnetic 3D Background

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:34 am

Has anyone ever used the Universal Rocks "Rocky 3D" Aquarium Background? It's only 1/4 inch thick, it's flexible, and it's held in place by magnets instead of silicone. It's also under $100 (well under for some sizes), so there seems to be a lot to like about it, but I haven't found a review for it. I have a 55 gallon tank, and this seems like it would be perfect, since it looks good and hardly takes up any space. Anyone have any pros/cons with using the magnetic background on glass?
DrTenochtitlan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Universal Rocks Magnetic 3D Background

Postby MbunaReef » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 am

Got a link?

I just acquired a 240 and am thinking about doing my first in-tank background, however, the tank is acrylic and I haven't seen many acrylic tanks with styrofoam backgrounds. Anyone know if there is an issue with acrylic tanks and styrofoam backgrounds due to the silicone?

TIA.
MbunaReef

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Here's their catalog as a PDF. The "Rocky 3D" background is on page 2:
http://www.universalrocks.com/Universal-Rocks-Aquarium-Reptile-Brochure-%20March-2011-w.pdf

Here's a video showing the product from the company:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfp8v2-YHA

I can't mention specific retailers inside the thread, but I've found at least two places in the US online that sell it. The 48" by 20" for the 55 gallon was between $77 (with shipping) and $91. That's really reasonable for a background.
DrTenochtitlan

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:27 am

Anyone? I'm wondering about the possibility of algae behind the background, as well as ideas on how I would attach my heater and hoses to the back.
DrTenochtitlan

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 am

I have in-tank backgrounds but they are siliconed, not magnetic. Don't you have to attach the magnetic ones flush to the back glass, thus leaving no room for heater or hoses?

I silicone mine in 1-2" from the back. The heater and intakes fit as usual. You won't get algae unless the back is facing a window or your aquarium light is not in front of the background.

With 1-2" of space and the filter intakes in the space, debris is swept up by the filter. I do occasionally (1-2X annually) stick a narrow siphon hose back there if there is any accumulation.

The trick is where to cut the holes int he background. And where to place the heaters and filter intakes relative to the holes.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby boxrunr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:05 pm

I just purchased and placed this background in my 55 gallon. It came with clips, no magnets. Looks good. I like that it's thin.
boxrunr

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:08 pm

boxrunr wrote:I just purchased and placed this background in my 55 gallon. It came with clips, no magnets. Looks good. I like that it's thin.

Could you post a picture of your tank with the background in it? How did you attach your filters?
DrTenochtitlan

Postby boxrunr » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:00 am

for now i haven't hidden the hob intake nor cannister intake/output. they are simply hanging in front of the background. trying to figure out how to post a pic.
te="DrTenochtitlan"]
boxrunr wrote:I just purchased and placed this background in my 55 gallon. It came with clips, no magnets. Looks good. I like that it's thin.

Could you post a picture of your tank with the background in it? How did you attach your filters?[/quote]
boxrunr

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 am

There is a sticky in the Photography forum. Save your pic on a free website like photobucket. Copy the img link provided into the CF topic. Click Preview to verify you can see your pic, then Submit.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby boxrunr » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:52 pm

boxrunr

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:41 am

boxrunr wrote:Image

That's a nice looking tank! :thumb: The background goes quite well with your rock. Any issues with the background itself?
DrTenochtitlan

Postby boxrunr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:53 am

DrTenochtitlan wrote:
boxrunr wrote:Image

That's a nice looking tank! :thumb: The background goes quite well with your rock. Any issues with the background itself?

Thanks. Thus far no issues with the background. The next day after i had placed the background, i noticed that the water was a bit cloudy and that there was a film of dust on the aquarium glass. Did a water change and wiped the glass, and everythings been looking fine. Perhaps i didn't rinse the background adequately before placing(?). I really wanted to hide the equipment but in the end i figured there wasn't enough space on a 55 g.
boxrunr

Postby hoopvillian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Cannot find a place to order these online. Anyone?
hoopvillian

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:43 pm

hoopvillian wrote:Cannot find a place to order these online. Anyone?

There are at least two places in the US that I know of where you can get it. PM me and I'll send you the links. I just received mine in the mail today, so I'll try and post a video review this weekend.
DrTenochtitlan

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:47 am

I will be posting a review with photos of this background shortly (probably tomorrow), for anyone that's interested.
DrTenochtitlan

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)