Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • What type of Rock should I use?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

What type of Rock should I use?

Postby Kfins » Mon May 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Ok so I am just starting up my aquarium. it is a 60g will be African Cichlids, my filter is the CV500UV and my substrate I have chosen to use pool filter sand. And I am painting the back of the aquarium black. So now I just need the rock and plants.
I love the look of the SEIRYU STONE but I am not sure if that will work for African Cichlids and also is there any other type of stone that has a similar look?

I love the look of this tank and would like to do something similar:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/9186/p101011214.jpg

I like the mountain style of look. but I do not plan on having live plants, I will do some artificial plants to add some green to the tank. Anyhow I just need some suggestions.

Also can I get stones at a rock store for landscaping? We have a Rock Ranch here and they have TONS of rocks to choose from.
Kfins

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What type of Rock should I use?

Postby Deeda » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes, you can purchase rocks at landscaping or other facilities that sell rock/stone.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby AulonoKarl » Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 pm

I only have one place in town with a decent selection of larger rocks. I like the looks of the rocks you are interested in. I was kind of on the hunt for something similar when I found my river rocks. I like the river rocks because they are available in various nice colors.
AulonoKarl

Postby cichlid-gal » Fri May 25, 2012 10:12 am

I love the look of those rocks and the idea of height and jagged peaks in tanks. In my area we have a lot of natural rock laying around and probably more of a selection than the local landscape design has but finding the rock that works the best and looks the best is the time consuming part. I think it will probably be an ongoing part of my hobby. Below is a pic of my first rock work attempt. I did get some mountains but not nearly as high as I wanted them and working in a 55G with only 12 inches of depth is a little limiting too when you start putting in those bigger rocks. I wonder if you can chisel your rocks to the shapes you would like them to be and "craft" them so to speak...???

Good luck and happy rock hunting :dancing:
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby brinkles » Sun May 27, 2012 11:04 pm

Avoid ones with metal veins or sharp edges, that's about the only limitations I can think of if you're going with hard water fish. I like odd shaped rocks of the same color and type myself.
The landscape yards cater to professionals - it's going to be a little awkward buying just a couple from them, but they'll do it.
The cichlids will dig up your plants, fake or real, and might "refine" your carefully built mountain!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
brinkles

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)