Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Petco brand black sand....

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Petco brand black sand....

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Well...I have my texas holey rock out of bleach and air drying for the last couple days....they look good.

I went and bought some black sand from petco...it is petco brand. Anyways....this stuff appears very dirty and I have rinsed, rinsed and rinsed some more and it still make the water in the bucket cloudy. Makes my hands kind of black with the dust. I think this is because they paint the sand.

Anyways...anybody else have experience with this brand? I want to add it to my tank tomorrow.
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Petco brand black sand....

Postby phister » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:Well...I have my texas holey rock out of bleach and air drying for the last couple days....they look good.

I went and bought some black sand from petco...it is petco brand. Anyways....this stuff appears very dirty and I have rinsed, rinsed and rinsed some more and it still make the water in the bucket cloudy. Makes my hands kind of black with the dust. I think this is because they paint the sand.

Anyways...anybody else have experience with this brand? I want to add it to my tank tomorrow.

Razorback,

I've bought aquarium sand from petco and it was quite dusty. What I recommend you to do is leave all the sand in a bucket or whatever and stick your water hose at the very bottom so that way the water over flows out of the bucket. But make sure the water pressure isn't flowing out your sand as well lol. Just leave the hose running til the water that's overflowing is clear water. Remember to stir the sand around every few minutes for even circulation. I hope this post helps you out somehow.

-Phi(fee)
phister

Re: Petco brand black sand....

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:11 pm

phister wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:Well...I have my texas holey rock out of bleach and air drying for the last couple days....they look good.

Razorback,

I've bought aquarium sand from petco and it was quite dusty. What I recommend you to do is leave all the sand in a bucket or whatever and stick your water hose at the very bottom so that way the water over flows out of the bucket. But make sure the water pressure isn't flowing out your sand as well lol. Just leave the hose running til the water that's overflowing is clear water. Remember to stir the sand around every few minutes for even circulation. I hope this post helps you out somehow.

-Phi(fee)
Well...I tried that but the o2 from the water was floating a lot of sand to the top and out of the VERY large rubbermaid container. I filled it up and stirred with my hands at least 15-20 times...at least. It is clearer but not crystal clear. I will go back out there and do it again tomorrow...definitely don't want to add and cloud my tank.
13razorbackfan

Postby phister » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:16 pm

Oh man, sorry for the lost sands lol.

That's probably the only best way I can think of.

Or you can do what I did for half my batch of sand, clean a good small batch of sand individually until you complete the whole batch of sand you have lol
phister

Postby frank1rizzo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:23 pm

i use a pillowcase, it strains it perfectly w/o losing sand
frank1rizzo

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:31 pm

frank1rizzo wrote:i use a pillowcase, it strains it perfectly w/o losing sand
I never thought of that...what a GREAT IDEA!!!

I just have to find one that does not have any bounce or other fabric softner on it.
13razorbackfan

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 am

Well...I went back out there and stirred it up some more and rinsed rinsed rinsed. It appears as though the more I stir it up the cloudier it gets and the more black residue comes off. I am pretty sure this sand is painted which leads me to believe that I am rubbing the outer layer of paint off. I am just not sure. The sand is still very black however.

I went ahead and dumped all the water out and refilled it very slowly and it is pretty clear. I put a power head in there to keep it circulating throughout the night. If it is still clear in the morning I will probably stir it up again and rinsed it then add it to my tank and fill the tank very slowly as not to disturb the sand too much. I am hoping as they dig if they do stir up anything that my filters filter it out.
13razorbackfan

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:45 pm

I bought Petco brand black sand for my 55. I barely (and I mean BARELY) rinsed it and it wasnt cloudy at all? I was very careful how I filled the tank and I never once had a problem.
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:01 pm

lilcountrygal wrote:I bought Petco brand black sand for my 55. I barely (and I mean BARELY) rinsed it and it wasnt cloudy at all? I was very careful how I filled the tank and I never once had a problem.
I just finished installing it with the holey rock....looks great and clear. I will take pics later after the all the little o2 bubbles finish dissolving.
13razorbackfan

Postby vann59 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 pm

I think as a rule, it's best to just rinse a small amount in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. It's taller than it is wide and this makes the lighter stuff wash out without losing the heavier sand.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm

vann59 wrote:I think as a rule, it's best to just rinse a small amount in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. It's taller than it is wide and this makes the lighter stuff wash out without losing the heavier sand.
I just gave up on trying to make it any clearer when rinsing. I put it in the tank and it is crystal clear.

I think that the painted rock the more I cleaned and rubbed them together was making the water cloudier.
13razorbackfan

Postby lilcountrygal » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Cant wait to see the pictures!! I have black in the 55 and white in the 125. Certain fish absolutely pop against the black (yellow labs especially).
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Ok....here are a few pics I just snapped. My camera is not the best and the rocks are so bright they put a glare on the back glass when taking pics....

13razorbackfan

Postby vann59 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 pm

You did good

:thumb:

Of course the rocks will get some character, but that's only natural.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm

vann59 wrote:You did good

:thumb:

Of course the rocks will get some character, but that's only natural.
Yeah...they are already spitting the black sand all over the rocks..little buggers. I will have to wait to find out where they don't like to dig so I can get some live plants to put in those spots.
13razorbackfan

Next

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)