Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • Wood from my stream

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: CjCichlid, notho2000

Wood from my stream

Postby summerboy1958 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:03 pm

I plan on visiting a stream near my house this weekend where I saw a few interesting pieces of wood. They are currently submerged.

If they are rotten, is there a risk in using wood that is saturated with "natural" water? Do I need to let it dry out and then soak in chlorine+water?

All comments welcome!!

Bruce
summerboy1958

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby summerboy1958 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:14 pm

oops, I meant "...not rotton...."
summerboy1958

Postby FishFlake » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:06 pm

I get wood from a local river. If needed, I scrub it a little with a plastic bristle brush to get loose stuff off. I then soak with chlorine, then dechlorinate and into the tank it goes. If you dry it out it could take weeks / months to get it to sink again.
FishFlake

Postby PfunMo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:37 pm

The water itself is not a problem other than it might let snails, eggs, etc. hitchhike. As mentioned, an overnight soak in water with a half cup or so of bleach is the really good, easy way to remove/kill snails/eggs and anything like oil or pesticide that it might have picked up. The trouble with "found" wood or even wood from a store is that you never really know the history of where it may have been. The local Orkin guy may have sprayed it while it was laying around the backroom. Since it is such a simple, easy, job to soak and let it dry, there really isn't any reason not to do it. The worries about using bleach are just worries as thousands of people do it all the time. Be aware that it will likely turn the wood white but that is only temporary and will return to normal once it is in the tank for a time.

My soaking tub and current stash of wood and rocks.
PfunMo

Postby lavarock » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:35 am

I have used wood found in streams close to me. When I get it I take it to the local car wash and spend couple bucks hosing it off real good. I then take it home and put it in a rubbermaid tub, weight it down and let it soak for couple days, dump the water and repeat until the water is clear after a couple days.
lavarock

Postby PfunMo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 am

I've finally gotten around to adding the small stump that was next to my tub into a 55. This tank has gone through a number of differnt fish and plans but the wood makes a scene I like. The overall scene would be helped if I painted the back but I never find a time when It isn't needed for fish! Just have to keep my priorities straight so it get no time for painting. It's only in my fishroom so I can live with that.

The real truth is that this piece will be sold and it helps me if I know the wood is safe and doesn't bleed tannins. The one fully sure way to test for tannins is using the wood for a couple months! Any buyers who question the safety of bleaching can just look at the pictures! The fish are not well focused but certainly not dead!
PfunMo

Postby jd lover » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:24 pm

dont mean to hijack but pfunmo if u wanna sell that stump let me know ;)
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby PfunMo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 am

No, Sorry. After I read that again I was hoping it didn't sound like a plug for my sales. I try to get out and run through the woods now and then and hauling back wood and rocks makes it look like I'm not just out there goofing off. Call it hunting without taking a gun? I just can't pass on bringing back a good looking piece but once the garage floor gets full I sell something or take it to the local auctions.
PfunMo

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)