Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Why are plants dying?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dc_cichlid_novice 
#1 ·
Here are pictures of the plants in my tank. Why are the leaves falling out and what do the brown spots mean? The plants have been in the tank for over a month now, but began to look like this in the last day or two. The tank numbers are as follows:
pH - 7.0
Nitrate - 20ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Hardness - 120ppm
Alkalinity - 100ppm
Temperature - 80 degrees F.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't see the pictures but what size tank? What kind of lighting? What kind of plants?

It's probably a fertilizer deficiency, or combination of things.

#3 ·
That isn't a true aquatic plant, unless I am mistaken.

Unfortunately a lot of places sell "aquatic" plants that are actually only really water tolerant at most - ie they can deal with being semi-submerged, some only for short periods, but they cannot and will not survive fully submerged.

Based on the texture of it's leaves, that's not an aquatic plant and what you are seeing is the plant beginning to rot and die."Fountain grass" is another non-aquatic plant sold as fully aquatic and I've even had it grow for a while fully submerged, but eventually they will die.

Echinodorus, Microsorum pteropus and Hygrophila are some of the hardiest and easiest to grow, try getting your hands on a truly aquatic plant - I'd recommend Java fern (Microsorum) and Hygro as they grow like weeds but still look very nice.

#4 ·
Ah, I figured out how to view it - had to click and drag. Yeah, that's not an aquatic plant :)

I'd say go yell at the store you bought it from but we live in a free market, capitalist society (for now...) and a store has the right to sell whatever they want and you bought it :)

Take it out of the tank and put it in a clay pot in front of your kitchen window, and get some of the Echinodorus, Hygro, Java Fern, or some Anubias. That stuff either can't be killed, or will grow so fast it'll keep growing even if it's dying :lol:

Good luck!

#5 ·
Thanks for all the good info. That makes sense. I bought these plants at a bigbox shop and specifically bought plants that were not submerged, "but could be," in an effort to make sure i didn't infect the tank (so much for that, see thread in the tank setup forum). I guess they were not capable of living under water. I am just surprised because they lasted for almost a month, the starting dying so quickly.
I will trade out the plants. I'll let you know what happens.
Also, the pictures show up on preview, but not on the actual page. How do you post pictures, i uploaded elsewhere then used the img button?
Thanks,
Matt

2ToneArmy said:
Ah, I figured out how to view it - had to click and drag. Yeah, that's not an aquatic plant :)

I'd say go yell at the store you bought it from but we live in a free market, capitalist society (for now...) and a store has the right to sell whatever they want and you bought it :)

Take it out of the tank and put it in a clay pot in front of your kitchen window, and get some of the Echinodorus, Hygro, Java Fern, or some Anubias. That stuff either can't be killed, or will grow so fast it'll keep growing even if it's dying :lol:

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.