The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program • Some species at risk

The purpose of the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program is to encourage hobbyists worldwide to devote tank space to one or more species-at-risk, while forming an information network between aquarists, scientists and conservationists. Hosted by C.A.R.E.S. speaker Klaus Steinhaus

Postby tatay » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:21 am

I want to start breeding simply so that I can help. I just bought a 250 gallon tank and filter a week ago and I'm ready. Once I start breeding more and more fish, how do I make sure that they go into the right hands so that they can flourish?
tatay

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby chrisnif » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 am

There are tilapia snyderae in my local club. I'd love to get my hands on some Eretmodus cyanostictus and help this cause. Can someone point me in the right direction?
chrisnif

Postby Red Triangle » Tue May 01, 2012 5:35 pm

I would love to have a tank devoted to a pair, or two of some of these cichlids. I had no idea that some of these fish were becoming endangered....

A PM with info as to where I can buy these fish, and more info as to why the are currently endangered; is it pollution of the fresh water sources by the SA, CA, and African governments involved?
Red Triangle

Postby monisaab » Thu May 03, 2012 2:46 pm

I wanted to do a tank of one of the smaller endangered species but could not find a club or society in Toronto, ON, Canada...

Can someone please guide me???
30 G: 6 Cryptoheros Nanoluteus
10 G: Nanoluteus pair
15 G: Young Apistogramma Baenschi trio
10 G: Apistogramma Cacatuoides pair
monisaab

Re: Some species at risk

Postby mysterycichlids2 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:41 pm

What can I do to help? I could keep some of them if any of them are african cichlids.
mysterycichlids2

Postby buntbarsch » Wed May 30, 2012 9:08 am

The CARES Program is not only for club and organizations, individuals can also become members. My responsibility is to look after clubs, societies and organizations. Each of these clubs has a CARES support team (which is usually a team of one :D ). They collect the data from each participating club member on a summery form and send them to me to be included in the main CARES database. Cares members that do not belong to any organization will send their data to the CARES for Individuals coordinator Leslie Dick at leslie@carespreservation.com. This way anybody who is interested and willing to free up some tank space has two opportunities to help our endangered fish. Depending on your choice of participation just contact either Leslie or myself and we will send you the information you need.

CARES is not only for cichlids but all fish that can be kept in an aquarium. Also the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program recognizes only those fish that are within the bounds of domestic laws. Species that are not available to hobbyists for regulatory reasons are not included on this list. The CARES Conservation Priority Species at Risk List http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html can not be compared with the IUCN RED LIST http://www.iucnredlist.org/ which lists every animal.

The CARES Program is growing very fast and the number of clubs joining CARES is growing rapidly. To look for a club near you, you might check out the members page at http://www.carespreservation.com/members.html.
Klaus
www.carespreservation.com
No one person can save all the species at risk but each one of us can save at least one.
buntbarsch

Postby theswede » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:43 am

This is good news. Ptychochromoides itasy that was thought to be extinct in the wild has been found in Tsiribihina river.

http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2012/f/z03352p024f.pdf
theswede

Postby buntbarsch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for the info Hakan, that is indeed good news.
Klaus
No one person can save all the species at risk but each one of us can save at least one.
buntbarsch

Postby eric » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm

That's great news! I'm sure Dr. Paul Loiselle is especially pleased.
Please add your opinions to the Product and Retailer Reviews Section
eric

Postby buntbarsch » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 pm

eric wrote:That's great news! I'm sure Dr. Paul Loiselle is especially pleased.

Ohh yeaaa, he will be tickled pick :lol:

A member of my home club goes with him to Madagascar every year and the news about some of the species is promising.
Klaus
buntbarsch

Postby 911Randal » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am

Where could i locate stock?
I now know what a crack head feels like. Gotta have more.
(2) 55 gal tropical community
1 55 gal Malawi ( under construction )
911Randal

Postby buntbarsch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Through specialty shops, breeders or by contacting C.A.R.E.S. member clubs
Klaus
buntbarsch

Postby Cherokee Aquatics » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:14 pm

We are going to be working with Lake Victorian Cichlids I have three 55 gallon tanks set up for breeding when they reach that age :popcorn:

Steve
Cherokee Aquatics

Postby Cherokee Aquatics » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:33 pm

I would also be willing to get my feet wet if I could find some Tilapia snyderae
Cherokee Aquatics

Copadichromis sp. Virginalis Gold

Postby LaurenManzano » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Hello,
I have a colony of Copadichromis sp "Virginalis Gold" 4 males and 6 females. from this group I have 4 juveniles, 10 younger juveniles and 7 Fry with egg sacks just starting to disappear. I'm looking for others who have this species as I'd like to trade for Genetic diversity!
If anyone has this species, It is endangered and is at HIGH Risk for extinction.
I have 4 - 1" + up to trade with anyone who has this species.
Lauren
Breeder of the smallest cichlids in the world
Lamprologus multifasciatus and Lamprologus similis.
LaurenManzano

PreviousNext

Return to The C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Program