Equipment & Supplies • 350 Bio Wheel Filter options

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

350 Bio Wheel Filter options

Postby gobigo7 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

What do you guys run in your 350 or 400 bio wheel filters when you dont want to use carbon I would like to make it a mechanical filter only so the filter inserts for the 350 has carbon I just want a sleeve that will trap debris any ideas on how or what I could put in that would work without carbon sleeves.
gobigo7

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 350 Bio Wheel Filter options

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 pm

When I was using these filters, still have them but not in use, I simply removed the carbon by pulling the top part of the filter fabric away from the plastic casing and pouring out the carbon. This filter has 4 slots for cartridges with two on each side. You can do that with all four and you can take a sheet of blue/white filter media and cut it to fit and slide it in front of the cartridges(after the water leaves the cartridge) because there isn't much space in behind the cartridges and if you put anything back there it will cause a ton of bypass as the water only has a small space to try and fill up that bay.

You could also simply remove the cartridges and fill with filter floss or with the blue/white pads I mentioned above. Your LFS or chain store should have both the blue/white pads in sheets or rolls and packages of filter floss.
13razorbackfan

Postby metricliman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:00 pm

You could cut out the carbon, or use one of these:

Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin
metricliman

Postby gobigo7 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

You are talking about the cartridges that has the blue stiched pad correct If I buy just the blue pad that you cut to size how do I get it to stay in the slots of the filter with out a frame?
gobigo7

Postby mbamba_boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm

I only run one of these at the moment (replacing them with fluval c4). I was going to try and cut a Rena xp 20 or 30 ppi pad to fit
mbamba_boy

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm

gobigo7 wrote:You are talking about the cartridges that has the blue stiched pad correct If I buy just the blue pad that you cut to size how do I get it to stay in the slots of the filter with out a frame?

Yes....you can just pull the stitching apart from the plastic at the top on pour the carbon out. If you do that then just place the blue/white pads, rolled up is how I did it, in front of the cartridges. Again when I say in front I mean the side of the cartridge closest the bio-wheel.
13razorbackfan

Postby gobigo7 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:15 pm

well they say to put the pad on the back side not on the bio wheel side why do you think that side
gobigo7

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm

gobigo7 wrote:well they say to put the pad on the back side not on the bio wheel side why do you think that side

I am not sure why they say that but there is zero room to put a pad on that side of the pad. If you stuff filter material on that side it will not filter very well. If you look down inside the well where it exits the impeller there is only a very small space for the water to move and spread out so it can use the entire surface area of the cartridge. Put the filter material on the biowheel side of the cartridge.
13razorbackfan

Postby Doyoulikefishsticks » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:21 pm

I've also read about people just using 6x9" scotchbrite pads in the filter slots, instead of the blue/carbon filled things. I read they fit right into the filter slot, but it is probably better to tie the pads to the black plastic frame of the filter you are talking about not wanting to use. Although, what metricliman posted a picture of below seems like a pretty good option for replacing the stock filters.

metricliman wrote:You could cut out the carbon, or use one of these:

Do you run four of those in all filter slots? Or do you put something else in the grey clamshell cartridges? I've read people use crushed coral, or the quilt batting/filter floss. And, if the batting is used, I've read about people saying it reduces water flow significantly, to the point where the biowheels barely turn? Maybe someone can give their opinion on how well it works.

I for one think using the scotchbrite pads is a good idea. That, or maybe finding a specialty shop that might sell a higher quality quilt batting then Wal-Mart. Perhaps a better quality filling that wont reduce flow and get all bunched up as much.
Doyoulikefishsticks

Postby CrypticLifeStyle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 am

13razorbackfan wrote:When I was using these filters, still have them but not in use, I simply removed the carbon by pulling the top part of the filter fabric away from the plastic casing and pouring out the carbon. This filter has 4 slots for cartridges with two on each side. You can do that with all four and you can take a sheet of blue/white filter media and cut it to fit and slide it in front of the cartridges(after the water leaves the cartridge) because there isn't much space in behind the cartridges and if you put anything back there it will cause a ton of bypass as the water only has a small space to try and fill up that bay.

You could also simply remove the cartridges and fill with filter floss or with the blue/white pads I mentioned above. Your LFS or chain store should have both the blue/white pads in sheets or rolls and packages of filter floss.

^^^I agree with him. It's how i run some 170's, 350's, and 400's, and crazy cheap to replace the pillow stuffing. Only thing i do different though is i have a lower layer of ceramic rings with the pillow stuffing on top, with some foam on top of that cut in various shapes, and sizes. Using the plastic shell to those filter cartridges as gates/barrier walls which never need replacing btw, you can treat those void space between as mini-media baskets. Fill them with w/e :thumb:
I suffer from MTS & have a little bit of everything
CrypticLifeStyle

Postby metricliman » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Doyoulikefishsticks wrote:Although, what metricliman posted a picture of below seems like a pretty good option for replacing the stock filters.

Do you run four of those in all filter slots? Or do you put something else in the grey clamshell cartridges? I've read people use crushed coral, or the quilt batting/filter floss. And, if the batting is used, I've read about people saying it reduces water flow significantly, to the point where the biowheels barely turn? Maybe someone can give their opinion on how well it works.

I for one think using the scotchbrite pads is a good idea. That, or maybe finding a specialty shop that might sell a higher quality quilt batting then Wal-Mart. Perhaps a better quality filling that wont reduce flow and get all bunched up as much.

You can put whatever you want in the cartridges. It gives you the flexibility to put whatever you want in the filer.
Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

-Benjamin Franklin
metricliman

Postby gobigo7 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Doyoulikefishsticks wrote:I've also read about people just using 6x9" scotchbrite pads in the filter slots, instead of the blue/carbon filled things. I read they fit right into the filter slot, but it is probably better to tie the pads to the black plastic frame of the filter you are talking about not wanting to use. Although, what metricliman posted a picture of below seems like a pretty good option for replacing the stock filters.

The 350 bio wheel filter doesnt have the grey clam shell cartridges only the 400 I understand what all you guys are saying but how do you keep the blue/white filter pads on the cartridges that you empty the carbon out of tie them with something?
gobigo7

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm

gobigo7 wrote:

The 350 bio wheel filter doesnt have the grey clam shell cartridges only the 400 I understand what all you guys are saying but how do you keep the blue/white filter pads on the cartridges that you empty the carbon out of tie them with something?

Don't pull all the fabric off the plastic housing. Just pull apart the top, gently, and dump out the carbon. Then take the filter material whether it filter floss, blue/white filter pad, etc...and just stuff if it in on the biowheel side of the cartridge. I took blue/white sheets, rolled them up and when rolled up it is rigid enough to stay in place. If you still have a hard time understanding then I will pull my filter out of storage and show you what I am talking about. Just let me know.
13razorbackfan

Postby CrypticLifeStyle » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:49 pm

The 350 dosnt have the clamshell correct, but it will hold the same filter cartridge as the 400. I've done a ton of HOB filter mods over the years, and i'l post what i've done which has all worked by the way to give you an idea of what you can do. Those carbon cartridges are a total waste of money, completely unnecessary, and carbon can cause more harm then good really.

Here's one of the more recent mods on a EMP 400 i have running. I filled the clamshell with pillow stuff, with a reusable filter pad in front, and filled the void before that with ceramic rings, and sponge pieces. It's a bit opposite of how most would have their mechanical filtration setup but so far its working good, and more experimenting with it at the moment.

Here's another mod i did with a EMP 400, each side being different. 1 side being more mechanical, the other more biological using the skeleton of the filter cartridge as a retaining wall.

Here's another EMP 400 i put filter pad in the back, clamshell with pillow stuffing in the middle, and spong in front over ceramic rings with a UV dumping onto a sponge on one side

Here's a current running 350 MOD
Filter cartridge as a retaining wall, pillow stuffing over ceramic rings, and sponge pieces

Here's some 170 mods i've done in the past, and the first 2 recent

A old whisper 30 filter using the white filter cartridge the others posted above as a retaining wall, and utilizing it owns polypad
I suffer from MTS & have a little bit of everything
CrypticLifeStyle

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
gobigo7 wrote:

Don't pull all the fabric off the plastic housing. Just pull apart the top, gently, and dump out the carbon. Then take the filter material whether it filter floss, blue/white filter pad, etc...and just stuff if it in on the biowheel side of the cartridge. I took blue/white sheets, rolled them up and when rolled up it is rigid enough to stay in place. If you still have a hard time understanding then I will pull my filter out of storage and show you what I am talking about. Just let me know.

EDIT: you don't want to actually stuff the cartridge itself. I mean to stuff it in the filter on that side of the cartridge. The poster above also has a good way^^^^^. Either would work fine.
13razorbackfan

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies