Equipment & Supplies • 55g Filtration.

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

55g Filtration.

Postby austings » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:01 pm

I have a standard 55g, with a Penguin bio wheel 350. And a Fluval 305.

I dont like the 350. the bio wheels dont spin like they should. Yes, I understand after time that they will slow dont and not spin as freely as they did when it was brand new. But, one absolutely does not spin. Also, its incredibly loud. I've already replaced the impeller once. Im just not happy with it anymore. I was thinking about buying another Fluval canister filter, probably the 306.

Questions,

Would a Fluval 305 and 306 be too much on a 55g?

I am currently building a spray bar for the 305, it will be done today. How would I go about having a spray bar and two canister filters? Connect both returns to one spray bar?

Any other recommendations for filtration? I really dont want another HOB.

Thanks.
austings

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 55g Filtration.

Postby newforestrob » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:30 pm

sounds good to me,I liked my 305 when I had it,I would make a spray bar for each
newforestrob

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Definitely don't hook the filters to a single spray bar. As newforstrob suggested just make two. I like my aquatop cf500uv and it would be good for a 55g and is about the same price as the 306 with twice the flow and more than twice the media capacity.
13razorbackfan

Postby jldean23 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 pm

i second the aquatop i have the sunsun 303b with uv i think gph is 365 or 336 somthin like that i will never go back to HOB filters plus with media, filter, and a wavemaker was like 96.00 the filter plus media was 78.00 plus free ship i got bio-balls
cermaic rings carbon and floss it works great for the amount of filtration for price its unbeatable compared to the higher priced brands.

Like the marineland canister is made by sunsun sorry razor so is aquatop jbj and another one i think also i think aquatop might have made the pump a lil better other than that they get their filter from sun sun called china talked to manager there lol aquatop called them they tried to say we make all the filters i asked were is your manufacture plant lol they wouldnt answer.

but back to point go to ebay just go to pet supplies dont type in aquatop or sunsun just type in canister filter i love mine best filter i have ever owned you could sell your fluval on craigs get that money buy a sunsun and still have cash left over for whatever else razor how long has yours been running mine has been for 3 1/2 months now and the space like he said is unreal compared to others it on my youtube video so you can see how big it is plus it is dead quiet never seen nothin like it!!!
55 gal tank
custom built wooden stand
diy 3d/background
stock:demonsi, yellowtail, pulpican, jalo reef,albino arutus, red top zebra
filter:303b sunsun canister w/uv

you can see my tank at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZmYckySTU&feature=plcp
jldean23

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 am

jldean23 wrote:i second the aquatop i have the sunsun 303b with uv i think gph is 365 or 336 somthin like that i will never go back to HOB filters plus with media, filter, and a wavemaker was like 96.00 the filter plus media was 78.00 plus free ship i got bio-balls
cermaic rings carbon and floss it works great for the amount of filtration for price its unbeatable compared to the higher priced brands.

Like the marineland canister is made by sunsun sorry razor so is aquatop jbj and another one i think also i think aquatop might have made the pump a lil better other than that they get their filter from sun sun called china talked to manager there lol aquatop called them they tried to say we make all the filters i asked were is your manufacture plant lol they wouldnt answer.

but back to point go to ebay just go to pet supplies dont type in aquatop or sunsun just type in canister filter i love mine best filter i have ever owned you could sell your fluval on craigs get that money buy a sunsun and still have cash left over for whatever else razor how long has yours been running mine has been for 3 1/2 months now and the space like he said is unreal compared to others it on my youtube video so you can see how big it is plus it is dead quiet never seen nothin like it!!!
Yes, the sunsun, aquatop, gretsch, etc....are all made in the Guangzhou Liwan District Weiming Aquarium Appliance Firm located in China. I spent some time tracking them down but finally found them. You can order directly from the plant but minimum orders are for 100 pcs. Shipping is also very expensive to ship that many units to mainland USA. You would want to order at least 500pcs to spread out the shipping cost.

The only difference I see between the sunsun and the aquatop is the polarized plug. The main reason I bought the aquatop is for customer service and tech support if needed. That was worth the little extra money I spent. So far it is a great filter. I have been very happy. Mine has been running for 3 months now since the 1st of may.
13razorbackfan

Postby jldean23 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 am

Mine has the same plug if i have a problem lol i cant contact aquatop get what your saying seen you video i have one too like your tank im gona send u message..
55 gal tank
diy 3d/background

jldean23

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:53 pm

:thumb:
jldean23 wrote:Mine has the same plug if i have a problem lol i cant contact aquatop get what your saying seen you video i have one too like your tank im gona send u message..
13razorbackfan

Postby mgreen44 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 pm

I have a 55g with peacocks and haps after I painted the back of the tank black I could see all the suspended particles that I did not notice before I was running a cascade 1000 with spraybar so I ordered a Rena filstar px2 and added it and it comes with a spray bar and my water looks like air now. It has no bypass and I got it online for 101.00 out the door. 2 filters on the tank is the way to go and I have more room for crushed coral to bring up my PH a little more.
mgreen44

Postby jldean23 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 pm

since i run one filter i run a wavemaker pushes the water to the filter it is very important to use a wavemaker like a fan under water keeps dead water from forming in tank and the plus fish love it love it play in at all day

Big reason i bought the bigger filter so i wouldnt need 2 i have a cascade 750 on my 35 hexagon works good also mgreen 44 is right if you have a 55 go big all manufactures say recommended for 55-75 mine is a sunsun303b it is a up too 135 gallon i think or 100 gallon always go big or go for 2 or go cheaper get a smaller sunsun 265gph 302b use hob filter on other side or use a wavemaker like mine...

(Remimber if you guess what size you think you need go one size bigger!!!!)
55 gal tank
diy 3d/background

jldean23

Return to Equipment & Supplies