Equipment & Supplies • Lighting for 8' canopy

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Lighting for 8' canopy

Postby Bryeman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:57 pm

I'm starting to look around for lighting for my 8' long canopy. It's going on top of a 24" deep Mbuna tank and I'm not trying to grow anything so it doesn't have to be reef level by any means! :) Moonlighting isn't necessary either, although if a particular idea involves it I'm not opposed. I have that on my 6' tank right now and although it is cool, I don't spend a lot of time looking when the moon lighting is on. I'd like any suggestions on what others have done for this. I prefer to go DIY to keep costs down, but here again, not opposed to buying something that's already half put togehter with a brand name. I also don't have a Home Depot or Lowes near me :x I do have a Menards though, although their lighting selection may or may not be the best compared to the others.
Bryeman

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Lighting for 8' canopy

Postby DrTenochtitlan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 pm

I can't help you, but thumbs up for Menards! lol I live in the South now, and haven't been to one in years.
DrTenochtitlan

Postby Bryeman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm

it's a great store, but I don't know if they have the lighting selection that the others do. I'm sort of lacking in the DIY part of the brain, so I need suggestions to help get the blood flowing!
Bryeman

Postby chinds78 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Look at the selection at kensfish.com. You will probably have to order two 48" fixtures, but that will work.

Having said that, i was at walmart the other day and they had 4' shop lights for $9.95. You can always get two of those and then buy aquarium bulbs or even use the daylight ones they or meandrous may have.
45G Mbuna Tank
3 Labidochromis Caeruleus/Metriaclima Estherae hybrids
3 Pseudotropheus Elongatus
3 PURE BRED Metriaclima Estherae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFYrPumZFg&feature=plcp
75G Mbuna Tank (work in progress)
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Postby Bryeman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:11 pm

The low cost method is interesting, but let's say I wanted to go LED route, would the Beamswork LED be a good option? I see a lot of people talking about them when I search on this sight. How many 48" stirps would I need to get good light keeping in mind I'm not running a reef tank? Would the freshwater or reef setup be better to show the fish off?
Bryeman

Postby chinds78 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:54 am

Bryeman wrote:The low cost method is interesting, but let's say I wanted to go LED route, would the Beamswork LED be a good option? I see a lot of people talking about them when I search on this sight. How many 48" stirps would I need to get good light keeping in mind I'm not running a reef tank? Would the freshwater or reef setup be better to show the fish off?

I don't have much experience with LEDs, but I would think 2 48" strips would work. It depends on how many LEDs are in each strip and how bright they are and how bright you want your tank. You will probably have to experiment to see what you like. Since cichlids don't really have nay specific lighting requirements it doesn't really matter how much light you use. Its all about your taste.

ONe important thing to remember with LEDs is that they have a narrower light beam so if they are too close to the water you will get a spotlight effect. The trick is to mount them a couple inches about the water to help with this. unless you like the effect.
45G Mbuna Tank
3 Labidochromis Caeruleus/Metriaclima Estherae hybrids
3 Pseudotropheus Elongatus
3 PURE BRED Metriaclima Estherae
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFYrPumZFg&feature=plcp
75G Mbuna Tank (work in progress)
I think I'm getting MTS!
chinds78

Return to Equipment & Supplies