Equipment & Supplies • Fluval 406 Noise Issue

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: Fluval 406 Noise Issue

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 pm

Cichfish wrote:So I went ahead and added some Vaseline around the impeller and the magnetic shaft basically I added Vaseline to all the moving parts I could see and still I'm getting loud noises coming from the filter when the flow adjustment is set to max flow. When I reduce the flow the noise goes away so currently I have the flow set to about 50% and everything is fine. Not sure what this issue is and I might have to contact Fluval. This unit was bought online at fosters and smith and is only a few months old I got the unit when it first came out. Not sure what else to do???...its getting frustrating...

Sorry the vaseline didn't work. Well....it was worth a shot. What does the sound sounds like specifically?
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Cichfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:38 pm

it sounds like a grinding type of noise when I rock the unit it goes away and then comes back....I should of gotten a FX5...not sure if its bubbles or something along those lines....but its def the impeller or something along those lines
Cichfish

Postby vann59 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:43 pm

The only moving part is the impeller assembly, other than silent check valves, which technically move too, so it must be either sand debri, or perhaps it's just not clicked back together properly? They are a little tricky when it comes to locking in the impeller cover lid.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby m1ke715m » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:50 pm

if you have bubbles then air is getting in the filter.. air where the impeller is will cause it to make noise and eventually stop pumping water.. check to see if its leaking somewhere you might need to adjust the gasket or tighten a hose....
m1ke715m

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Cichfish wrote:it sounds like a grinding type of noise when I rock the unit it goes away and then comes back....I should of gotten a FX5...not sure if its bubbles or something along those lines....but its def the impeller or something along those lines

Sounds like something inside the impeller chamber. I would use Q tips and spray water in it to see if there is some sand or other debris stuck somewhere.
13razorbackfan

Postby blackedout » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:54 pm

cichfish, use the teflon tape idea around the seal, above the impeller. i just did it and it fixed the problem. the problem is... water is able to come around the impeller cover, and it creates cavitation, and thats the noise your hearing. so put about 2-4 wraps of teflon tape around the impeller cover seal. and it will fix you problem.
75 Gallon, 2x Fluval 406's, Peacock / Hap Tank
55 Gallon, Fluval 305, peacock fry / pregnant females
blackedout

Postby Cichfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:04 pm

What or where is the impeller cover seal?
Cichfish

Postby Deeda » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Here is a LINK to the User manual so you can identify the parts and see troubleshooting tips.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby blackedout » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:18 pm

part V, the impeller cover. around the sides of it, is where its supposed to seal against the impeller housing, but if the rubber gets squished over time, like ours did, it allows water to pass by it. so the teflon tape will widen the cover, so it makes a good seal!
blackedout

Postby Cichfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks I will give that a try and see what happens
Cichfish

Postby Cichfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm

I put some teflon tape around the impeller housing and the filter is running like a champ!!! In the full flowpositon. Thanks everyone for there advice and especially blacked out! Hopefully it doesn't mess up again and get loud.
Cichfish

Postby blackedout » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Cichfish wrote:I put some teflon tape around the impeller housing and the filter is running like a champ!!! In the full flowpositon. Thanks everyone for there advice and especially blacked out! Hopefully it doesn't mess up again and get loud.

no problem, glad i could help! thats what this site is for right!
blackedout

Postby Cichfish » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Yupp Yupp...anything else new out in aquarium technology? Such as lights or filters etc?
Cichfish

Postby mhertzfeld » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Make sure you didn't loose the little rubber nipple looking peice that goes on the tip of the impeller shaft. Not saying this is your problem but it's a very small peice that's easy to overlook or loose during the cleaning process.
mhertzfeld

Postby blackedout » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:21 pm

just had to do it to my other 406, this must be a common problem, i have two 406's and both now need teflon tape around the impeller cover..... i should have gone with a single fx5
blackedout

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies