Equipment & Supplies • venturi valves & or diffusers

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

venturi valves & or diffusers

Postby B.Roberson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Can i make a Diffuser from a power head? Or make some sort of oxygen saturation device with the power heads from my previous undergravel??
Im leaning toward Fmueller theory, more oxygen and clean water and clean media..
I have that HOB, ac 110,, that doesn't create alot of surface agitation,, and my xp3 with a spraybar,, which i point the jets up quite a bit to move the surface water.. I have a glass hood so no water escapes, i could point my spraybar almost straight up. Except when feeding lol. But do you get my question? ? Im pretty handy i could make so
B.Roberson

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: venturi valves & or diffusers

Postby B.Roberson » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:44 pm

I guess my question should have been,, what is the best way to get the most oxygen in my tank with what ( I) have??
An ac 110 hob.
Xp3 with a spraybar
And 2 powerhaeds from a previous ug filter. ( not being utilized right now)
Could i attache a hose to the powerhead and create an airpump effect or would that even do anything?
Probably just be pushing water no air.. just GASPING for ideas..pun intended! !
B.Roberson

Postby deaver » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 am

:popcorn:
deaver

Postby fmueller » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm

I have some old power heads lying around that have built in venturi valves. They work very well, and were cheap - about $10 a piece. They work the same as an Eheim diffusor, which is of course cheaper still - and could be driven by your XP3.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby B.Roberson » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:20 pm

How do they work? Excuse my ignorance please. Im running my xp3 as my main filter. But i have 2 powerheads laying around. I put 1 in the middle of my 75 just for xtra water circulation. My ac 110 does not move much water as i keep the tank full. Xp3 moves quite a bit with the spray bar pointed semi upwards but reading more of what you say do i need more water movement to create oxygen? Obviously airpumps dont do it, . Thanks for your input Fmueller i really do appreciate it
B.Roberson

Postby fmueller » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:00 pm

If you have ever used a Python or another such water changing device, that's essentially a venturi valve. Water is pushed through a constricted section of pipe, and the resulting lower pressure at the constriction is used as a pump. In the case of a Python, water is pumped out of a tank and goes down the drain with the water used to drive the Python. In case of a diffusor, air is sucked out of the room via a piece of airline tubing and goes into the tank with the water from the filter outflow. So the filter outflow drives the diffusor, no extra pump is required. You simply replace a spray bar with a diffusor. In action it looks like this:

[youtube]_MNm9YZDHtY[/youtube]

On the backwall of the tank you can see the outlet hose of an Eheim 2260 filter attached to an Eheim diffusor. At the top of the diffusor is a short piece of airline hose leading above 'the surface to suck in air.

If you don't want to use your filter outlet, this is a small powerhead with integrated diffusor/venturi valve.

fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby B.Roberson » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Ok. I get it. Yes both my powerheads have that. Maxi jet 1200. So i can connect a longer tube so it reaches down where the powerhead is.. But it does create a lot of bubbles in the tank,, some people would not like that.. i didnt realize that is what it was. Thank you.. so in my case would you suggest that? Or is the xtra water movement from the powerhead creating enough extra oxygen? ?
B.Roberson

Postby fmueller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Water movement by itself doesn't get any oxygen in the water. Increasing the area where air and water meet will. One way to do that is by having lots of tiny bubbles. People might love or hate the look of those bubbles, but when somebody claims bubbles are harmful to fish, ask them what evidence they can present to back that up. There is none.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby countryboy814 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't know. Your diffusor is pretty noisy.
Be careful what you say. Censors are working 24/7.
countryboy814

Postby fmueller » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:09 pm

countryboy814 wrote:I don't know. Your diffusor is pretty noisy.

That's me huffing and puffing :D

Seriously though, you'll never find a HOB filter that's anywhere near as quiet as the 2260 with the diffusor. Of course if the Eheim has a submerged outlet it will be more quiet than anything that produces bubbles. But I am not aware of anything that can guarantee oxygen at saturation levels and be absolutely silent. Bursting bubbles produce a certain level of noise, even if it's very low.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby countryboy814 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 am

fmueller wrote:
countryboy814 wrote:I don't know. Your diffusor is pretty noisy.

Bursting bubbles produce a certain level of noise, even if it's very low.

Bursting bubbles do make a certain amount of noise. Your diffusor sounds like you left the faucet running.
countryboy814

Postby deaver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:51 am

lol, u guys have to get your tanks out of your bedrooms.

That noise would be annoying when trying to watch TV or read in your living room. But if your Tanks are located outside the forementioned rooms, the diffusor would be the way to go. I have used loud/noisey bubblers in my family room that are on timers to start at bed time.
deaver

Postby countryboy814 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 am

deaver wrote:lol, u guys have to get your tanks out of your bedrooms.

That noise would be annoying when trying to watch TV or read in your living room. But if your Tanks are located outside the forementioned rooms, the diffusor would be the way to go. I have used loud/noisey bubblers in my family room that are on timers to start at bed time.

Did you listen to the video???? Maybe the fish are in the shower.
countryboy814

Postby deaver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 am

yeah, i did. but listen to fmuller in the background. he could move his tongue to lick his lips and you'd hear that too. the sound reception must be way up. besides i said it would be more beneficial after hours or in a fishroom, not a bedroom or during daytime in a living/family room. i agree it may be to loud for outside these perimeters.
deaver

Postby countryboy814 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:35 am

deaver wrote:yeah, i did. but listen to fmuller in the background. he could move his tongue to lick his lips and you'd hear that too. the sound reception must be way up. besides i said it would be more beneficial after hours or in a fishroom, not a bedroom or during daytime in a living/family room. i agree it may be to loud for outside these perimeters.

I agree. Maybe at the lfs.
countryboy814

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies