Equipment & Supplies • Gaskets on Canister filter

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Gaskets on Canister filter

Postby hawkkerw » Sat May 19, 2012 9:16 am

What type of lubrication do you use on your canister filter O Rings? I have a canister that s going to sit for about a month or two without being used. I could swear I read somewhere in a fluval manual not to use Vaseline?
hawkkerw

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Gaskets on Canister filter

Postby countryboy814 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:18 am

If it's a rubber "o"ring I don't see how vaseoline could hurt.
countryboy814

Postby GTZ » Sat May 19, 2012 2:33 pm

It's debatable as to whether or not vaseline could be harmful to fish as well as rubber gaskets.
Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and use kitchen faucet grease, or plumbers grease, both of which are silicone.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby countryboy814 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:41 pm

People use vasoline on things such as impellers with no problems. I would say grease her up and stow her.
countryboy814

Postby countryboy814 » Sat May 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Pool lube. After reading, vasoline causes rubber to expand. Which will seal. However may lead to premature failure of gasket.
countryboy814

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat May 19, 2012 3:36 pm

GTZ wrote:It's debatable as to whether or not vaseline could be harmful to fish as well as rubber gaskets.
Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and use kitchen faucet grease, or plumbers grease, both of which are silicone.

Silicone grease correct? Can you buy this at the hardware store?
13razorbackfan

Postby GTZ » Sat May 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Sure. Kitchen faucet grease or plumbers grease.
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat May 19, 2012 7:29 pm

GTZ wrote:Sure. Kitchen faucet grease or plumbers grease.

Will it say on the tube it is aquarium safe or something along those lines? Maybe a specific brand and name of the grease? I just want to make sure I get what is safe. I have always used vaseline but if it is true that it causes premature wear of the rubber then I will stop.
13razorbackfan

Postby <=U=L=T=R=A=> » Sat May 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I have been using Vaseline for 15 years and never had a problem with it.
There was one eheim canister i bought where the manual said to use Vaseline or eheim lube on the seals when you put back together after a cleaning.
125 GALLON...EHEIM 2262+2229+2228+AC 110 POWER HEAD WITH HYDRO SPONGE 2nd 2262 standing by...

110 GALLON EHEIM 2262+2229+2228 AC 110 POWERHEAD WITH HYDRO SPONGE....

40 GALLON LONG ...EHEIM 2217 AC POWER HEAD 70 WITH HYDRO SPONGE
<=U=L=T=R=A=>

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat May 19, 2012 10:35 pm

<=U=L=T=R=A=> wrote:I have been using Vaseline for 15 years and never had a problem with it.
There was one eheim canister i bought where the manual said to use Vaseline or eheim lube on the seals when you put back together after a cleaning.

That is what I thought as well and have been using but the person who mentioned premature gasket wear sure has made me think twice. I would hate to come home to water all over my floor. Hasn't happened so far but I never rule anything out.
13razorbackfan

Postby GTZ » Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 pm

I suppose it depends on what the gaskets or o-rings are made out of. However, faucets, which run drinking water, don't use vaseline, they use silicone based lubricants. Food for thought, as it were.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 pm

GTZ wrote:I suppose it depends on what the gaskets or o-rings are made out of. However, faucets, which run drinking water, don't use vaseline, they use silicone based lubricants. Food for thought, as it were.

Going to get some anyways but just wanting to make sure it is aquarium safe.....
13razorbackfan

Postby Deeda » Sun May 20, 2012 4:19 pm

If the product is safe for potable drinking water use, it should be fine for your aquarium.

I've used regular Vaseline for my Eheims, as suggested by their website. I've also used plumbers o-ring grease for faucets.

I understand the debate regarding Vaseline and rubber products but unless you know that the o-rings and seals are definitely made of 100% rubber, I don't think you will have any problems using either of the suggested lubes. Most o-rings are a compounded blend of various materials these days.

If in doubt, consider contacting the manufacturer of your particular filter, either through their website or email.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby theoryguru » Tue May 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Vaseline is a petrolium based lube which will breadown the polyeth. in time. Use silicone based lube only.
(same goes for car door gaskets)
theoryguru

Postby <=U=L=T=R=A=> » Thu May 24, 2012 12:20 am

13razorbackfan wrote:
<=U=L=T=R=A=> wrote:I have been using Vaseline for 15 years and never had a problem with it.

That is what I thought as well and have been using but the person who mentioned premature gasket wear sure has made me think twice. I would hate to come home to water all over my floor. Hasn't happened so far but I never rule anything out.

Every time I open the canisters, I inspect the seals with a magnifying glass.
And look for cracks or warps, if its ok! Then I Massage the Vaseline on to the rings.
I do not think small amounts of vaseline will harm fish and the rings either.
I been doing it for many years And I have not seen any evidence of such.

If you added vaseline to your rings and later it starts leaking :roll: it wasn't the vaseline ....your rings are worn out :thumb: And you dint catch it :D
125 GALLON...EHEIM 2262+2229+2228+AC 110 POWER HEAD WITH HYDRO SPONGE 2nd 2262 standing by...

110 GALLON EHEIM 2262+2229+2228 AC 110 POWERHEAD WITH HYDRO SPONGE....

40 GALLON LONG ...EHEIM 2217 AC POWER HEAD 70 WITH HYDRO SPONGE
<=U=L=T=R=A=>

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies