Equipment & Supplies • Leaking filter!!!!

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Leaking filter!!!!

Postby Jack and Pete » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 am

Ok..so I go to do a water change and find 4 towels damp(I keep them under tank)……power strip in a puddle and think omg tank is leaking!! I try very hard not to over react, look look, look!!! So I finish my change and place tissues and paper towels to find leak. After 3 hours I discover it is the power cord to my Rena XP3. I will check the review section but does anyone have recommendations for a filter for 120 gallon tank? I do not want to do 2 filters, just one, change 40 % of water 2X a week!! Happy fish...need a good filter!!!
Jack and Pete

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jd lover » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 am

fx5
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby GTZ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:22 am

Probably not the power cord but one of the seals that's allowing water into the motor housing and then out through the power cord hole.
There are 3 types of gaskets, 1 large gasket around the motor housing, 1 around the impeller opening on the underside of the motor housing and 2 o-rings on the quick disconnect.
Remove and lubricate each gasket/o-ring with plumbers grease or kitchen faucet silicone grease and re-install. Reassemble and retest the filter afterwards.
You might want to set the filter in a plastic tray or rubbermaid container along with a water alarm in the future or until you're finished testing.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby zquattrucci » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:19 pm

i have an ehium that is doing the same thing for my 125 and could not find a gasket kit for it so i never thought about trying to lube the gasket hope it works for me my tank has been on natural habitat for 6 mounts now think god for my snails and placo
zquattrucci

Postby Jack and Pete » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 pm

GTZ - great reply!!!! Boyfriend did one....so far so good ....going to keep a close eye as well as ask him which one and I will return!!!
Jack and Pete

Postby zquattrucci » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm

what kind of lubricant did he use?
zquattrucci

Postby Jack and Pete » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Still Leaking...... :o
Jack and Pete

Postby GTZ » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:15 pm

You can get a full seal kit here for ~$25.
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby afoctober2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I had the same leak you have to make sure that latching system is working properly. I changed all the o rings went to hardware store and matched them all up. They are pretty common so won't be a problem. Another problem I had was the out take side didn't fully open in the open position and didn't fully close in closed position.
afoctober2

Postby Jack and Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 am

I have to go to work today...do you think I could leave unplugged for 9 hours and tank and media will be ok?
Jack and Pete

Postby quentin8 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:53 am

Do you have a power head or air pump to break the waters surface? If so I dont think you would have a problem with the tank but im not sure about the media in the filter thats a long time to go with out water movement or oxygen. Im sure somone else will chime in soon.
quentin8

Postby Jack and Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:03 am

I have a bubbler (the cord like one) going along the full lenght of the back of the tank.....
Jack and Pete

Postby quentin8 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 am

Than you should be fine as far as the tank goes. How long has the tank been set up?
quentin8

Postby Jack and Pete » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:29 am

Almost 2 years......
Jack and Pete

Postby GTZ » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:08 am

I don't think I'd leave my canister unplugged for that length of time. It would be best to remove the media and place in a bucket of tank water along with an airstone, or at the minimum, add it to the tank after a light cleaning. Or just open up the canister and place the airstone inside.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies