Equipment & Supplies • Anybody heard of these Canisters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby JimA » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:41 pm

How much hose do they send with the unit?
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Andy Somnifac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:51 pm

2 lengths, about 5' each.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:First impressions:

*This is not a review. I haven't used it nearly long enough to review it. This is just first impressions*

Things I've noticed:

The media trays are generously sized. Each tray had a foam pad in the bottom, which I removed and stacked in the bottom tray. They fit nicely, and it made more room in the middle tray for bio media. If it looks like flow will be an issue, I'll split them back up and distribute the bio media between the bottom 2 trays. The top tray has carbon in it, simply because I didn't have enough extra bio media to put in it. Once I get enough bio to fill the tray, I'll probably switch it over.

While it certainly isn't blasting the tank away, it has pretty good flow. It's currently on a 5' 100g tank so it won't be as noticeable change of flow on it as there will be on a 3' 65g tank, or so I'd bet. Any bigger than the 65g I'd probably go with the CF-500.

Priming is a cinch. A few ( < 10? ) presses of the prime pump button got a siphon going and the canister filled.

This thing is silent. The only way I could tell it was on (once all air was purged) was to see the UV indicator light was on. I thought that my Eheim 2217 (on the same tank) was quiet, but it's deafening in comparison.

That's great to hear! I'm not too worried about flow, I decided I'm only buying 1 of these and using it as bio on the 125G; the main source of water movement will be the 1300GPH undergravel jets.
The King Crabb

Postby JimA » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:24 pm

So I got the two I ordered today, pretty easy set up didn't even look at the instructions had them up and running in 1/2 hour or less. One thing, I had a leak at one of the outflow connections at the tank. Messed with it a bit couldn't get it to stop :( I stuck the whole end in the tank for the night and will deal with it later. :lol: Actually just getting these seeded to move to the 165 in a couple of days will also have to get some more bio type stuff to fill the trays.

I like these filters very quiet and do move a bit of water. Any of you might check your connections and make sure no drippy drip!

At some point will have to add to the reviews section. :thumb:
JimA

Postby JohanniMan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:38 am

Andy Somnifac wrote:First impressions:

*This is not a review. I haven't used it nearly long enough to review it. This is just first impressions*

Things I've noticed:

The media trays are generously sized. Each tray had a foam pad in the bottom, which I removed and stacked in the bottom tray. They fit nicely, and it made more room in the middle tray for bio media. If it looks like flow will be an issue, I'll split them back up and distribute the bio media between the bottom 2 trays. The top tray has carbon in it, simply because I didn't have enough extra bio media to put in it. Once I get enough bio to fill the tray, I'll probably switch it over.

While it certainly isn't blasting the tank away, it has pretty good flow. It's currently on a 5' 100g tank so it won't be as noticeable change of flow on it as there will be on a 3' 65g tank, or so I'd bet. Any bigger than the 65g I'd probably go with the CF-500.

Priming is a cinch. A few ( < 10? ) presses of the prime pump button got a siphon going and the canister filled.

This thing is silent. The only way I could tell it was on (once all air was purged) was to see the UV indicator light was on. I thought that my Eheim 2217 (on the same tank) was quiet, but it's deafening in comparison.
mine actually came with bio balls and ceramic bio which is probly over kill way more then enough and yes it is very very quiet lol I allways feel the outflow just to make sure its going..
JohanniMan

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 am

JohanniMan wrote:mine actually came with bio balls and ceramic bio which is probly over kill way more then enough and yes it is very very quiet lol I allways feel the outflow just to make sure its going..

As did mine, but I'd rather use something like Matrix, or some other porous ceramic type media. I've just never been sold on bio-balls.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm

Could try K1, could make an awesome moving bed!
The King Crabb

Postby JimA » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:12 pm

They don't come with a ton of bio material. I thought about throwing a hand full of the kids Lego's in there. :lol: Probably work pretty good though :wink:
JimA

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:22 pm

Legos aren't a bad idea, I'd bet, :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Pot scrubbies are probably better.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 pm

True, but if you don't have pot scrubbies and only half a million Legos on your hands (that's me!), why not give it a shot! Good idea :thumb:
The King Crabb

Postby JimA » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:41 am

Really the more I think about it they would work pretty good. Jeez they are kid safe (except for the whole swallow choke thing) they are non toxic and not painted, with tons of cracks and crevices foe the bio. I am guessing they will float in the tray is that a bad thing just pack the tray so they don't.
JimA

Postby The King Crabb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:05 am

Not a bad thing at all, if anything that's good. The fact that they move means the bacteria get more oxygen which means it'll actually grow faster and more efficiently, quite a good thing depending on how much movement!
The King Crabb

Postby JohanniMan » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:50 am

that would be a good idea.. but maybe to heavy?
JohanniMan

Postby LMWatton » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:05 pm

i bought one from ebay for around 50 au dollars and its silent
LMWatton

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment & Supplies