Equipment & Supplies • Anybody heard of these Canisters?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Anybody heard of these Canisters?

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:45 pm

CF-500UV Canister Filter with UV9W Sterilizer - 525 gph
by AQUATOP

They seem pretty legit, but I've never even heard of them. They have a UV sterilizer in them, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing since it says it kills bacteria but the bacteria is needed...
The King Crabb

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby brinkles » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm

The bacteria is stuck on stuff, not in the water.

Supposedly the bulbs don't do their job for long anyway, but they should help clear up an algae bloom.
brinkles

Postby PfunMo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:45 pm

My only experience with UV comes from hiking/backpacking equipment for making water safe to drink but the UV and bulbs work the same. Bulbs do not last long and running 24-7, I would guess six months might be it but one can't tell if they are working or how well. So if your tank is clear and it has been 5 years, is it the UV or just the tank running as it should? The bulb still lights but what light is it putting out? These are some of the reasons I've never used them in tanks. These seem to be the latest "big" thing but that may just be because they sell well.
PfunMo

Postby inurocker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Yes, it's a SUNSUN with a different name on it. I have one on my 115 Gal. works great. Best bang for the buck I have found.
inurocker

Postby The King Crabb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:59 pm

inurocker wrote:Yes, it's a SUNSUN with a different name on it. I have one on my 115 Gal. works great. Best bang for the buck I have found.

Is one plenty for your 115G? I was thinking I might need two for my 125G?
The King Crabb

Postby aprildawn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 am

i also have 2 sunsuns. the only complaint that i have is that the handles on the medium baskets are very flimsy. i have to use a pliers to grap the sides of the baskets to remove them. other than that, i think that they work great.
80 G - All-Male - Dragonblood, Eureka Red, C.Moori, yellow labs, acei yellow tails, synodontis petricola, nerite snails, MTS
10 gal - multies
40 gal - SA tank in the planning stage
aprildawn

Postby Andy Somnifac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Hope they're decent. Just bought a CF-400UV for the 65g I'm setting up.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:ust bought a CF-400UV for the 65g I'm setting up.

Let me know how that goes! I'm thinking of buying either the CF-300 or the CF-400UV and pop it on either my 55G Mbuna or my 60G planted SA tank to test out how the products work.
The King Crabb

Postby Cichlid_Expert » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:21 pm

I purchased an AQUATOP CF-300 for my 40 gallon...... its alright. Has good suction and spare parts. It comes with all of the media to set it up with. Its been running for about 2 weeks now and haven't had a problem with it. Its EXTREMELY quiet, I would recommend it, I was pretty leery of buying it myself, but no regrets! :thumb:
Cichlid_Expert

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Cichlid_Expert wrote:I purchased an AQUATOP CF-300 for my 40 gallon...... its alright. Has good suction and spare parts. It comes with all of the media to set it up with. Its been running for about 2 weeks now and haven't had a problem with it. Its EXTREMELY quiet, I would recommend it, I was pretty leery of buying it myself, but no regrets! :thumb:

I feel the same way, but it's good to hear! Think I'll need two?
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

It'll be a while before I'm up and running. I still have a background to build, and stocking Tanganyikans at a reasonable price is near impossible...
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:It'll be a while before I'm up and running. I still have a background to build, and stocking Tanganyikans at a reasonable price is near impossible...

Understandable. Guess I'll let you know how mine goes then? :lol:
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 am

I may stick it on another tank that I'm having some clarity issues on once it comes in. Should be a good test, and will get the bio media up and running.
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Postby The King Crabb » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Andy Somnifac wrote:I may stick it on another tank that I'm having some clarity issues on once it comes in. Should be a good test, and will get the bio media up and running.

Sounds good :thumb: Be sure to leave the old filter on too or swap over some bio media so the tank stays cycled!
The King Crabb

Postby Andy Somnifac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 pm

It would be in addition to any filtration that's already on the tank. Maybe I'd unplug the AC70 on it so the fish don't get blown around too badly...
Andy
Andy Somnifac

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies