Equipment & Supplies • bioballs or ceramic rings for a Rena xp3?

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

bioballs or ceramic rings for a Rena xp3?

Postby CharlieTuna » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:07 pm

Ok. so i got my 1st rena xp3 the other day and wanna know what would be better for bio filtration, those Blue bioballs? or the ceramic rings that come with the Aquaclear HOB's?

also out of the 3 baskets should i do 1 sponge basket and 2 bio media baskets? or viseversa?

keep in mind i have 2 AC110's on my 55 gal for the next couple weeks with the new xp3 till it gets collonized then i'll go with (1) ac110 and the xp3---until i get my second xp3 :D
If it smells like fish, it's a dish. If it smells like cologne leave it alone.
CharlieTuna

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CICHLUDED » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm

I use the coarse sponges in the bottom basket. Bio-stars and ceramic rings in the middle, then pot scrubbers and a polishing filter in the top.

If you are wanting more biological filtration, you could fill the bottom basket with bio-balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbers, or whatever.
CICHLUDED

Postby kewlkatdady » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:07 pm

bio balls work better in a wet/dry set up than a cannister...

They weren't desinged to work while fully submerged.

With that said... I'd use the bio stars or gravel, or whatever you have around that is porous.
125 Tang tank
9-Cyathopharynx foai (Sibwesa)
8-Enantiopus sp. "Kilesa"
12- Xenotilapia bathyphilus (Zaire Blue)
kewlkatdady

Postby demonsoni » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:01 pm

in mine I use what comes with it plus a box of fluval biomax, another pouch of the stars and potscrubbers to fill any other space.
:fish: :fish:
demonsoni

Postby PRSKILLER » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:50 am

I have the course foam pads in the bottom, 10 and 20 then the ceramic rings with bio stars just above then the fine pads on top.
PRSKILLER

Postby ice_9 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:05 pm

I have 2 XP3s and an XP2 running on my 100 gal. The XP3s have 1 coarse and 1 fine foam in the bottom basket, some cut-to-fit nitrate and phosphate removal pads and a wad of polyfiber in the middle, and Seachem Matrix in the top baskets. The XP2 has just mechanical filtering in it...
always Constant...Accurate...and Intense...
ice_9

Postby CharlieTuna » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:16 am

thanx so far for the info.

I just ordered 6pks of 20ct rena bio-chem stars because i plan on buying another xp3 in a month or two and petsmart had a good deal if you spend $55 or more so i figured i might as well buy'em now.

Should i fill up the middle basket (pre micro filtration) or the top basket (post M.F.) with the stars?
CharlieTuna

Postby alicem » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:41 pm

CICHLUDED wrote:I use the coarse sponges in the bottom basket. Bio-stars and ceramic rings in the middle, then pot scrubbers and a polishing filter in the top.

If you are wanting more biological filtration, you could fill the bottom basket with bio-balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbers, or whatever.

PRSKILLER wrote:I have the course foam pads in the bottom, 10 and 20 then the ceramic rings with bio stars just above, then the fine pads on top.

Sounds like these guys put the bio stars in the middle with the fine filter or polishing filter in the top.
Alicem
my tanks are low tech planted:
75G:Pelvicachromis Pulcher,Rainbowfish,ABN
46G bowfront:Marble Angel,Sunset Platy,ABN
90G:Steatocranus Casuarius,OB Peacock,Congo Tetra,Red Swordtails,ABN
alicem

Postby ice_9 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 pm

I was always under the impression that you needed the cleanest (debris free) water for the bio...therefore, bio in the top..?
always Constant...Accurate...and Intense...
ice_9

Postby CharlieTuna » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

see thats what i was thinking. my ac110's had the ceramic bio rings in the top as per Hagen's instructions. But Rena has suggested putting them in the middle...thus the confusion. i can see merits for both suggestions but then again...why would you want debris in the bio media which isnt ment to be cleaned as often or at all compared to the coarse filtering sponges
CharlieTuna

Postby lestatak » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Use Seachem Matrix. It's fabulous.
lestatak

Postby moneygetter1 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:03 pm

lestatak wrote:Use Seachem Matrix. It's fabulous.

8) Agree!! Foam20 (coarse), foam30(fine), ceramic rings, Matrix (by Seachem) & on top microfiltration pad plus. Rena XP4 & XP3 are setup this way. The XP4 has more room so more Matrix is used. "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500s,2 300w Jager
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Return to Equipment & Supplies