Equipment & Supplies • WRONG SILICONE!?!?!?!?!!!

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby teqvet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Amphilophus_Demasoni wrote:OK, but once again, does it really matter if i waited 1 day, or 1 week? if the ingredients in the product is toxic, it won't matter at all right? i mean are you saying if I waited for 1 week, the toxic stuff would come off?


No they are not saying that at all. You are misunderstanding. 1 day is not long enough for the tank to CURE. That means for the silicone to adhere to the surfaces properly and give you a proper seal. They are saying it's good to wait at least a week after applying the silicone to let this bond form.

If it's toxic, you could wait a year and it would likely still kill the fish.

Just pick up the silicone we have suggested or find something that specifically states it is aquarium safe and you should be good to go.
teqvet
 
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Florida (NW Panhandle)

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby BillD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:48 pm

The mildewcide is there for the long haul.
BillD
 
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 2:30 am
Location: Whitby, Ontario,Canada

Postby savage » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 am

Amphilophus_Demasoni wrote:OK, but once again, does it really matter if i waited 1 day, or 1 week? if the ingredients in the product is toxic, it won't matter at all right? i mean are you saying if I waited for 1 week, the toxic stuff would come off?


Bingo. If the stuff is mildew resistant at all then you'll have problems. They make it mildew resistant by adding toxic chemicals that mold/mildew can't live on... so when you submerge the stuff in water, bam all your fishys suck it in and go bottoms up.

But as the other posters stated, when you do reseal your tank again with an aquarium safe product make sure you let it cure for a good long time. Rule of thumb is once you can't smell the silicone at ALL anymore, you're good to go.

Sorry to hear about your fish dying :(
90g w/eheim 2213 and Rena Xp3
3 C.borleyi (Kadango) (1m, 2f)
Aul.Eureka (2m)
Aul.Rubescens (1m)
Aul.Chiwindi (1m)
Aul.sp. "Yellow Collar" (1m)
Aul.maylandi "Sulphur Head" (1m)
Yellow Lab (2m)
Protomelas marginatus (1m)
savage
 
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: Ajax, ON

Postby Spewn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Amphilophus_Demasoni wrote:OK, but once again, does it really matter if i waited 1 day, or 1 week? if the ingredients in the product is toxic, it won't matter at all right? i mean are you saying if I waited for 1 week, the toxic stuff would come off?


My tube of aquarium safe silicone recommends I let it cure for 2-5 days, but it only recommends this cure time for aquariums(aka; the only instance where trace toxins might result in death). Draw your own conclusions, but wait longer next time no matter what kind of silicone you use.
Spewn
 
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:30 am
Location: Southwestern Ontario

Postby TONY5177 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Loes and Home depot around me both sell aquarium safe silicone. Also all fish stores especially the large chain stores sell it as well. I think after 1 disaster it only makes sense to use only aquarium safe (as per package) and follow time instructions on package
TONY5177
 
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:53 pm
Location: MARYLAND

Postby dwschacht » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:14 am

I don't use GE silicon 1 and I have never had problems, but I read the label carefully and found a silicon that was "safe for food contact when cured" and used that stuff. No fish casualties.

Other brands work, but you should read the labels. Also, I wait 3 days for mine to cure.
dwschacht
 
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Seguin (SA), TX

Postby tomfoolery » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:00 pm

i got a gnarly crack in my 55 gallon. and my dad had some kinda silicon in the garage. so i used it and everything works perfect...no fish dieing...but i left it filled up with nothing in it for like 2 weeks to make sure it didnt leak. i put gold fish in for a bit to test the water for another 2 weeks then i put in chiclids and they are fine...
tomfoolery
 
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Orlando

Postby BillD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:59 pm

The whole point of the mildewcides is that they have a residual effect which lasts a long time. So, if it was mildewcide that caused the problem, waiting a week wouldn't have helped.
BillD
 
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 2:30 am
Location: Whitby, Ontario,Canada

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], wortel87 and 8 guests