Equipment & Supplies • Fluval FX5 Media

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Fluval FX5 Media

Postby Mainefishguy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am purchasing a new FX5 and would like to know what you all recommend for media. Also, does any kind of media come with the filter?
I do not want carbon so any other suggestions im open to. Please indicate what basket you put yours in etc.

I have a 75g tank. 1 11" oscar, 1 5" rafael catfish, 1 3" female convict.

Substrate is Sand, I have a few large smooth river rocks and a piece of d-wood.

Currently I have 1 2017 Eheim and 1 2013 Eheim. I am looking to upgrade the 2013 to the FX5 because I am disappointed with the tanks mechanical filtration. Im hoping the FX5 will do the job for mechanical filtration and the Eheim 2017 do most of the Bio.

Thanks

Andrew
Mainefishguy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fluval FX5 Media

Postby Shizark » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:29 pm

If I were you I'd click that search button and type in FX5 media. YOu will get 20 different threads with the answer you are looking for. NOt being rude either, just a way to find the answer quicker.
Shizark

Postby 13razorbackfan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:28 am

I use 1500g of ceramic rings, 500 in each tray, and a marineland blue/white filter pad that comes in sheets cut to fit each tray. One of the blue/white pads in each tray. In my bottom tray the pad is under the ceramic rings and on top of them in the top two trays. Works well for me.
13razorbackfan

Postby thatbb6 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 am

I got 1500g of Fluval Biomax bio rings in all 3 trays. But the last tray I also put some polyester pillow stuffing from Walmart to pick up fine matters. Do not use any 'pre filter media' because they're waste of money.
Too many hobbies, too little monies :(
thatbb6

Postby DrgRcr » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:28 am

thatbb6 wrote:I got 1500g of Fluval Biomax bio rings in all 3 trays. But the last tray I also put some polyester pillow stuffing from Walmart to pick up fine matters. Do not use any 'pre filter media' because they're waste of money.

Biomax and sponge material cut to fit in mine. But I will disagree with the prefilter media part. I have Ehfimech ceramic noodles in one tray in a couple of my filters and it traps tremendous amounts of detritus. Plus it doesn't tend to clog like poly fill material. Just my .02.
125g Mbuna-Labs,Rusties,Acei,Afra,Fuelleborni, Syno Multi
72g All Male Peacock/Hap
55g-WC Metriaclima Elongatus Chailosi
20g Tang.- L. Multifasciatus
40br,20g,10g,5.5g-Various fry/growouts
DrgRcr

Postby cichlid-gal » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:39 am

I use Biomax and Seachem Matrix in my trays. One tray is full Biomax, one tray is full Matrix, and one is mixed. I have a new filter setup too so waiting to see how all this works but I use the Matrix and Biomax in other filters also...the nice thing about the Matrix is it does a great job of "trapping" stuff and developing the biomedia quickly.
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby MarkyMark75 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:05 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:I use 1500g of ceramic rings, 500 in each tray, and a marineland blue/white filter pad that comes in sheets cut to fit each tray. One of the blue/white pads in each tray. In my bottom tray the pad is under the ceramic rings and on top of them in the top two trays. Works well for me.

Razorback....What is the reason for using filter pads in the trays if the trays are surrounded by all that sponge.
I may be getting an FX5 and was wondering.
tks.
MarkyMark75

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 pm

MarkyMark75 wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:I use 1500g of ceramic rings, 500 in each tray, and a marineland blue/white filter pad that comes in sheets cut to fit each tray. One of the blue/white pads in each tray. In my bottom tray the pad is under the ceramic rings and on top of them in the top two trays. Works well for me.

Razorback....What is the reason for using filter pads in the trays if the trays are surrounded by all that sponge.
tks.
Sponge allows quite a bit of bypass plus allows smaller particles to pass through. When cleaning the blue/white pads they are MUCH dirtier than the sponges. I can't emphasize enough the word MUCH. My water stays crystal clear from water change to water change.
13razorbackfan

Postby thatbb6 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:20 am

DrgRcr wrote:
thatbb6 wrote:I got 1500g of Fluval Biomax bio rings in all 3 trays. But the last tray I also put some polyester pillow stuffing from Walmart to pick up fine matters. Do not use any 'pre filter media' because they're waste of money.

Biomax and sponge material cut to fit in mine. But I will disagree with the prefilter media part. I have Ehfimech ceramic noodles in one tray in a couple of my filters and it traps tremendous amounts of detritus. Plus it doesn't tend to clog like poly fill material. Just my .02.

It clogs because it works. If your Ehfimech noodles work that well why don't you use it for the FX5 as well? A bag of Polyfil stuffing is about $4 and it lasts at least 8 months for me. Water is sparkly clear and it's not murky for yellow. To each his own but the combo I'm running is extremely cost effective.
Too many hobbies, too little monies :(
thatbb6

Postby Mainefishguy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for all the replies. I bought a few different things to play around with. 1000g of Fluval biomax, 750g of the fluval prefilter media, a pack of the fine filter pads and a pack of the water polishing pads. I am hoping to fine the right combination with these.
Mainefishguy

Postby MarkyMark75 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:17 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:
MarkyMark75 wrote:

tks.
Sponge allows quite a bit of bypass plus allows smaller particles to pass through. When cleaning the blue/white pads they are MUCH dirtier than the sponges. I can't emphasize enough the word MUCH. My water stays crystal clear from water change to water change.

I see, thanks.
One more quick q...I like your tank set up, but noticed no real caves besides the holey rock that you have.
Is there a reason for this?
Just doing my research on what works...
tks.
MarkyMark75

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Yeah....they like to sift the sand and like the open water. It is also easier to clean in and around the rocks but my spray bar does a good job keeping the tank clean. It also helps keep them from establishing territories. Overall I like the open look to it. I have done caves and structures so much in the past I just wanted something different.
13razorbackfan

Postby MarkyMark75 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm

13razorbackfan wrote:Yeah....they like to sift the sand and like the open water. It is also easier to clean in and around the rocks but my spray bar does a good job keeping the tank clean. It also helps keep them from establishing territories. Overall I like the open look to it. I have done caves and structures so much in the past I just wanted something different.

I have a stupid question: How does a spraybar keep the tank clean?
isn't it just the output that agitates the water for oxygen?
Or does the spray bar act also as a powerhead to move debris back into the filter, hence keeping it clean?
MarkyMark75

Postby 13razorbackfan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:38 pm

MarkyMark75 wrote:
13razorbackfan wrote:Yeah....they like to sift the sand and like the open water. It is also easier to clean in and around the rocks but my spray bar does a good job keeping the tank clean. It also helps keep them from establishing territories. Overall I like the open look to it. I have done caves and structures so much in the past I just wanted something different.

I have a stupid question: How does a spraybar keep the tank clean?
isn't it just the output that agitates the water for oxygen?
Or does the spray bar act also as a powerhead to move debris back into the filter, hence keeping it clean?

It does both in my case. Mine extends all the way across the tank and rolls down the front of the glass keeping the sand clean. The FX5 puts out enough current to keep debris and waste afloat long enough for my intakes to suck it up.
13razorbackfan

Postby Dawg2012 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:25 pm

+1

I got no poo in any of my tanks with FX5's and spray bars. I had to reposition a couple of rocks that were trapping some, but once I did that it just blows around until it gets sucked up.
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies