South American Cichlids • Jag Cichlid Questions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Jag Cichlid Questions

Postby FireHorn123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 am

Hi I recently purchased a jaguar cichlid that I'm not too fond of... It hides all the time and never interacts with other fish in the tank and there is no way he's getting beat up because he's with a 4in firemouth and a barely 1.5in JD the jag itself is around 2.5in. But I just want to know two things will his behavior change and will he ever come around? Another thing is how long can he stay in the 40g I have em in?
FireHorn123

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Jag Cichlid Questions

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 am

Parachromis managuense is a Central American Cichlid, not South American, and will get far too big for a 40 by the time it is a year old, should be at least 6-8 inches by that time. He will soon try to eat the JD, and as soon as his size is close to that of the firemouth, he will beat the daylights out of it. I'd rehome the Jaguar ASAP, or be prepared to lose the other two fish.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby FireHorn123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Parachromis managuense is a Central American Cichlid, not South American, and will get far too big for a 40 by the time it is a year old, should be at least 6-8 inches by that time. He will soon try to eat the JD, and as soon as his size is close to that of the firemouth, he will beat the daylights out of it. I'd rehome the Jaguar ASAP, or be prepared to lose the other two fish.

So then why do you think he's behaving so weird and by a year I'll have sold him
FireHorn123

Postby AguaManic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 am

He's new to the tank. new juvenile fish are rarely ever bold right out of the bag, especially when they have places to hide.
AguaManic

Return to South American Cichlids