South American Cichlids • What size upgrade am I going to need?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

What size upgrade am I going to need?

Postby vikingkirken » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm pretty new on this forum. I currently have a 55g community setup with a bit of a mixed bag of fish in there. Here's what I have:

3 swordtails (1M/2F)
1 molly
3 praecox rainbows
6 gold barbs
3 guianacara owroewefi
1 electric blue acara
1 red tailed shark

I'm trying to figure out whether my fish may be ok long-term in a 55 (I suspect not), or what size tank upgrade I would need in order to keep everyone happy. Alternatively, I could get a second larger (40g or 55g) tank and split my stock. But preferably I'd like to keep to one main display tank due to house size and tank maintenance.

If I do an upgrade or add a second tank, adding more rainbowfish is a must, and probably 1-2 more guianacara.

Thanks for any advice!
vikingkirken

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What size upgrade am I going to need?

Postby tanker3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Bigger is always better, but do not really see any issues with your currant stock
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby vikingkirken » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm

So you wouldn't anticipate problems with the cichlids and the shark? I did try to pick cichlids that were both mellow but capable of defending themselves. I guess I'll wait and see how things go! Do you think I could add some more rainbows, or would that be pushing it?
vikingkirken

Postby tanker3 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm

You are correct, those are some of the more peaceful of cichlids and will hold their own. I would not add any more fishes, you are already at the upper limits of your tank. I would prefer a 100gal with your stock, but you should be OK. I do not like 55gal tanks, they are too narrow for cichlids.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby vikingkirken » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Awesome, thanks. This is some great information. I would like to add some more rainbows eventually, so I'll probably keep watching craigslist for a deal, but this puts my worries to rest for now. I have been considering either a 90g (4'x18"), a 120g (5'x18") or a 125g (6'x18") as upgrade options. It sounds like any of those could work fine...
vikingkirken

Postby AguaManic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 am

vikingkirken wrote:Awesome, thanks. This is some great information. I would like to add some more rainbows eventually, so I'll probably keep watching craigslist for a deal, but this puts my worries to rest for now. I have been considering either a 90g (4'x18"), a 120g (5'x18") or a 125g (6'x18") as upgrade options. It sounds like any of those could work fine...

The bigger the tank, the better your options down the line. I'd get the 125 if that's doable for you.
AguaManic

Return to South American Cichlids