South American Cichlids • German Blue Ram behavior ?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

German Blue Ram behavior ?

Postby archangelvk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

So heres the story. I bought 4 Tank bred German Blue Rams. 3 Female and 1 male. After a few days, they paired off, the female started laying eggs but male never fertilized. The male died after 2 weeks in my tank. The 3 females lived with each other and the one that was paired with the male laid eggs each week only to end up eating them all since there was no male around. 2 weeks ago I just bought 3 WILD caught MALE GBR. They are larger in size compared to the 3 females I have but the weird thing is NONE of them have paired up. Not only that but the female that use to lay eggs no longer does. So my questions are ...

1) Whats the deal? The 3 Wild caught males seem to hang out with each other while the females still hold their own territories.
2) Will they ever pair up? or do they just all have no sexual interest in one another?
3) Is it due to the fact that some are wild and some are tank bred?

Thanks in advance.
archangelvk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: German Blue Ram behavior ?

Postby Mr Chromedome » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

If it's only been two weeks, I'd just give it time. The girls might be ready, but the new males need to adapt to their new environment. Once they do, then they'll go "lookin' for love". Good food will help that along; wilds might not be too keen to eat dry food, try some frozen, or better, live if you can get it.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby tanker3 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

2 weeks, are you kidding? Please be patient, they are not horny teenagers. Give them some time to adjust.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby archangelvk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:05 pm

tanker3 wrote:2 weeks, are you kidding? Please be patient, they are not horny teenagers. Give them some time to adjust.

LOL. But when I first brought home my 3 females and 1 male, they paired off and laid eggs within the first week. I just dont get why its taking these ones so long. Maybe it is cuz they are wild caught??
archangelvk

Postby tanker3 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Maybe. Wild caught fishes, may need time to adjust to the local water.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Return to South American Cichlids