South American Cichlids • Apistogramma cacatuoides color questions

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Apistogramma cacatuoides color questions

Postby Warhawk77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:31 am

I need some education on the colors Apistogramma cacatuoides come in. When I search online I find a good bit of info on the fish but most of the images are fish with red fin or at least red fin tips. I also found there are often called double reds and that there are triple reds. From what I can find the red are line breed for that trait. But what got me thinking is I have found a local fish keeper that is breeding them but his are Yellow fins.

So are the yellow another line breed color?
What color are the wild caught fish?

I'm thinking about getting a small group of these just so want to make sure of what I'm getting.
Warhawk77

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Apistogramma cacatuoides color questions

Postby lizardboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 am

The yellow are also line bred. The wild caught depend on where they're from, but they're generally less colorful than the line bred strains (though I think they look cooler). They generally have some red in the fins.
lizardboy

Re: Apistogramma cacatuoides color questions

Postby Warhawk77 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks for that info that is what I was thinking but couldn't find any info on the yellow line.

I have seen some great looking yellow apsitogramma but pretty sure they are not the same fish, they have mostly yellow bodies.
Warhawk77

Return to South American Cichlids