South American Cichlids • Problem between cichlids

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Problem between cichlids

Postby Kennethannen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 am

So I've had these two cichlids in my tank since day 1 about 2 years ago. I have a jack Dempsey, and few other kinds for a total of 4. Red cichlid, electric yellow and than this other one which is white with yellow fins.

Moral of story, they've never had a problem but now the white one with yellow fins with strips vertically on body, keeps bitting at my jack. Jack was usually the dominate one but is now really submissive. They still eat, no signs of infection as I can see, but flash a lot and tilt to their sides when fighting or just next to each other and also rub against rocks and decorations. Can anyone help with this!! If anyone also knows how to upload a picture of the fish I'm talking of let me know. And I'll post it.

Thank you guys.
Kennethannen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Problem between cichlids

Postby Kennethannen » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 am

Here is the fish I'm unsure about. My jack Dempsey is in background.

https://i.imgur.com/AMKKw8Z.jpg
Kennethannen

Postby My2butterflies » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:36 am

I believe it is a Pseudotropheus Greshakei. It is an African cichlid, I think the red and the electric yellow are too. Aren't they?
From my understanding it is better not to mix ca and sa cichlids with African.

What size tank are they all in?

What does your water test at?

Any signs of ich?
~ Mrs.E ~
My2butterflies

Here is a link of all my fish

Postby Kennethannen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 am

So update: here is the link of all my fish. https://imgur.com/a/Khfca

Tank is 40 gallons.
No signs of ich but at same time I swear I see it sometimes with the white specs in the fins and than other times I don't. I got water tested and the nitrates are zero and nitrites are a little high. I've added some chemicals to lower those suggested by pet store. They said try this before treating for ick. My main concern is they've never fought before but now they are and also my jack Dempsey is very passive when earlier it would rule the rank. The bright yellow and red are acting normal but now jack and strip one with yellow fins are both flashing and rubbing on rocks. Like I said also go along for close to two years.

Thank you
Kennethannen

Postby My2butterflies » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:55 pm

Do you have you nitrites and nitrates mixed up?

If you have a high reading for nitrite in your tank then either something happened to your established media, over feeding, or too big of a bio load for your current setup.
Since you have all those fish in a 40 gal unless you are doing daily-every other day water changes the water will go bad fast.
How long have you had the pelco? Has it also been in there the past 2yrs? Sailfin, right? They have a massive bio load they add to the tank just on their own. They are great for cleaning up algae, but leave such a mess behind. Lol

I also don't see any signs of ich. I don't have much experience with other parasites in aquarium fish. Flukes come to mind, but a new fish would have to have brought them in.
What is your water change schedule like? Did you recently changed out filter media?
~ Mrs.E ~
My2butterflies

Re: Here is a link of all my fish

Postby Davey88 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:19 am

Kennethannen wrote:So update: here is the link of all my fish. https://imgur.com/a/Khfca

Tank is 40 gallons.
No signs of ich but at same time I swear I see it sometimes with the white specs in the fins and than other times I don't. I got water tested and the nitrates are zero and nitrites are a little high. I've added some chemicals to lower those suggested by pet store. They said try this before treating for ick. My main concern is they've never fought before but now they are and also my jack Dempsey is very passive when earlier it would rule the rank. The bright yellow and red are acting normal but now jack and strip one with yellow fins are both flashing and rubbing on rocks. Like I said also go along for close to two years.

Thank you

Great set up!
Davey88

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:01 am

Red fish- Jewel Cichlid from West Africa
Striped- looks to be a Labidichromis Perlmutt
Yellow- Labidichromis Caeruleus

Mbuna may not be pure.
Iggy Newcastle

Return to South American Cichlids