South American Cichlids • Fish From Venezuala

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Fish From Venezuala

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 am

G'day folks.

Been a while since I've been around.

I remember when I used to hang around here, one thing a lot of us used to like was checking out youtube videos.

Some of my favourites were from Ivan Mikoliji who lives in Venezuela and films a lot of under water short video and documentaries.

Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fish From Venezuala

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:12 am

45 minute doco.

Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby Mr Chromedome » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks for that. I've seen some of the shorts, but this one showed me some things I did not know.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby illy-d » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:14 am

I saw the thread title and was going to chime in by saying "you should check out the Fish Guys with Ivan Mikolji and George Fear", but it appears you checked them out already... Episode 2 of season 3 was posted a little while ago, about a year after episode 1!
illy-d

Postby wryan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks for the link !
wryan

Postby Granamyr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 am

Mr Chromedome wrote:Thanks for that. I've seen some of the shorts, but this one showed me some things I did not know.

Come on Chromedome you shouldn't say silly things like that. We all know you already knew all that stuff :)

The one thing I was really surprised at was at 35:25 and the Biotodoma that he was showing. I was really expecting it to say Wavrini instead of Cupido. Everything I have ever read said the lateral line is below the spot for Cupido plus that coloration I've only seen on a Wavrini. Very cool looking fish though
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 4 Guianacara Owroewefi 3 Apistogramma Baenschi 8 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128) 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
Granamyr

Postby jamntoast3 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:16 pm

i dont rely too much on his videos for identification, there are tons of fish he doesnt even mention. i love them for getting an idea of what the biotope looks like though. i like videos from the channel maratecoara too
jamntoast3

Postby Granamyr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:06 pm

jamntoast3 wrote:i dont rely too much on his videos for identification, there are tons of fish he doesnt even mention. i love them for getting an idea of what the biotope looks like though. i like videos from the channel maratecoara too

You are correct I should have emphasized that more. That was some awesome footage, just with all the good information that he does give. When something is wrong in a video it makes me question about the other things if they are correct or not.
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 4 Guianacara Owroewefi 3 Apistogramma Baenschi 8 Emperor Tetras
Granamyr

Postby jamntoast3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:52 am

Ya true, I think he is fairly knowledgeable but just not top tier fish nerd knowledgeable. In the fish guys videos it seems like he asks george (I think that's his partners name) to id stuff every now and then. Still super interesting videos, maybe a little drawn out but very cool footage. Seems like a really chill dude, id but him a beer if I met him.
jamntoast3

Postby Granamyr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:50 pm

jamntoast3 wrote:Ya true, I think he is fairly knowledgeable but just not top tier fish nerd knowledgeable. In the fish guys videos it seems like he asks george (I think that's his partners name) to id stuff every now and then. Still super interesting videos, maybe a little drawn out but very cool footage. Seems like a really chill dude, id but him a beer if I met him.

I agree, seems like a great dude. It would be fun to talk about fish with him. No matter what he said in the video the footage he showed is amazing. He could have read the phone book and the footage would still be sweet to see.
90 gallon
Granamyr

Postby jamntoast3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Granamyr wrote: No matter what he said in the video the footage he showed is amazing. He could have read the phone book and the footage would still be sweet to see.
true. i have watched them without sound while in bed so as not to disturb the missus and can confirm, they are still interesting
jamntoast3

Return to South American Cichlids