South American Cichlids • How many angels?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

How many angels?

Postby Cichlid boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:00 pm

As the title says how many angels can I have in a 50 gallon tall tank. It's planted and has a pair of keyholes, pair of kribensis and a 5year old tiger barb. The tank gets weekly 25-50% water changes. It's 18" by 20" by 31".
Cichlid boy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How many angels?

Postby mambee » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:42 pm

I would go with a minimum of 4 to spread out the aggression. However, a lone tiger barb is going to cause problems by constantly nipping the fins of the angels. Supposedly, tiger barbs are less nippy when kept in large groups. However, I don't think that I would ever keep them with angels.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Cichlid boy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Ok thanks the tiger barb came with the tank when I goy it a year ago so I've just kept it I'll probably get rid of it then. Thanks for the advise
Cichlid boy

Postby The Dude315 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:58 pm

The Tiger Barb would probably need to go and you may have problems if the Kribensis breed. I tried keeping a breeding pair of Kribensis with Angels and Bolivian Rams and it did not last into adulthood. The Angels will quarrel. Kribs get nasty when breeding. I personally wouldn't try it in less than a 75 even with brilliant aquascaping. The Keyholes may be able to carve out a little niche depending on aquascaping.
The Dude315

Postby Cichlid boy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:56 am

Ya they just bred and were to aggressive for that tank and I've already got rid of the tiger barb. I'm going to get rid of the kris soon.
Cichlid boy

Postby Cichlid boy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:23 pm

:fish: So I'm up to 11 angels. Theres 3 about the size of a silver dollar, 3 about the size of a half dollar and 5 with a body that has a 3.5-4" diameter. There's also about 6bn plecos in the tank also only 2". Fed 2X/day with a weekly 50% water change. All of the angels are in the upper half of the tank almost all the time and was looking for something that will stay towards the bottom, I was looking at some rams.

Also there's hardly any fighting in the tank. The only time I've seen fighting was when two paired off and we're ready to breed.

Here's a coupl tank shots to show you how it looks.
ImageImage

Let me know if you think I can add them

Thanks
Cichlid boy

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:38 pm

There's hardly any fighting because the tank is way overstocked.
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby Cichlid boy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Ok so I got rid of 5 of the angels so I'm down to 7 angles. I got rid of 2 o the largest and 2 of the half dollar size. Also get rid of 3 plecos. How's the stocking now? Still overstocked? Could I add a pair of rams?

If I should reduce the stocking number. How much should I reduce it by?

Let me Know thanks
Cichlid boy

Postby Cichlid boy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:48 pm

Also test results are:
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm
pH- ~7.2
Cichlid boy

Return to South American Cichlids