Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Geophagus ok?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Granamyr 
#1 ·
I have a geophagus that I am worried about. Thought he was looking unhealthy, so I moved him to a quarantine tank and have been medicating. His pectoral fins look very tattered. But my son pointed out that my other, older heartier geo's fins look the same. Would you be concerned?

#3 ·
Deeda said:
There must be a reason the fishes fins are tattered, could you post what other fish and how many are in this tank? It could be an aggression issue among the fish.
Another geo, green severum, red spot severum, black convict, two blue acaras, a nicoraguan. The nico and convict may be misty most aggressive, but last added. The geo was rough looking before

#6 ·
I would think it must be aggression. A little bit of fun damage is no big deal in my eyes, it happens if it's too crowded or the fish has a bad neighbor next to its favorite spot. If it's serious and the fish is hiding and looking traumatized then you may want to consider changing your stock or adding more line of sight breaks. Of course this is just in my experience

#7 ·
That's quite a few large fish, how big is your tank? Geos are pretty peaceful and definitely would be targets if the severum decided they didn't have enough room. Also what type of Geophagus is it? they have a wide range of temperaments as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.