Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Blue acaras not eating

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adamsfishes 
#1 ·
I have two blue car is one female one male, and they both seem not to be eating. I've noticed that the male has started his courting process pulling on plants, vibrating etc. And they seem to be digging a hole I'm not sure which one of them it is but there's a hole in the rocks. And now they just seem not to be eating the food that I'm giving them is just laying on the rocks and plants, I'm thinking about Siphoning all the food out, but I'm wondering if that's part of their breeding habits are they saving the food for there spawn.??? Someone please help!

#2 ·
Hi Jenn and Welcome to C-F!!!

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your fish. Could you please give us some more details about the tank size (include dimensions-L X W X H), how long the tank has been set up and any other fish that are with them?

Also, do you have an aquarium test kit, if so, please post the results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH?

To answer your food question, no they do not save food. I suggest siphoning out any excess food that isn't consumed.

#3 ·
They are in a 10 gallon tank and their water level is good I do have test strips. I did a water change about a week ago and I do those every two weeks. Yes that's why I was worried about siphoning the food out because I know that it does really bad stuff for the water so I'll make sure and do that today. Trying to find out if they are breeding or what's doing on? They are the only 2 fish in the tank

#5 ·
They are substrate spawners, here is an article from the C-F library on the Blue Acara.

Can you post the test strip results please?

I have a feeling that the issue is water quality and after reviewing the info on these fish, a 10G tank is way too small for them. Smaller tanks are more difficult to maintain properly, especially for these larger fish.

How long has this tank been set up?

What filter are you using for this tank? Brand and model would be helpful if you know it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.