South American Cichlids • Crencichla Regani keepers please.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Crencichla Regani keepers please.

Postby mok3t » Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 pm

So yeah, one of our suppliers has some quite nice Reganis apparently so we're gonna order some. Mainly because i want em but hey, perks of being in charge of a cichlid section. :D

Going with 65litres, standard size so 24" long not 30". Plenty of hiding spaces and a few hardy plants. Looking for advice on tankmates and choosing a male/female (whichever will be nicer looking or better suited to the slightly smaller territory).

Was THINKING of a trio of swordtails and maybe a small L# (i'm addicted to L#s now :roll: )

Thoughts, suggestions and well wishes all welcome.

Gavin,
In the hobby since 1993, Cichlids since 2005.
mok3t

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Crencichla Regani keepers please.

Postby mok3t » Mon May 28, 2012 6:56 am

Just a little bump, no responses at all makes me think this has been overlooked. :)
Gavin,
mok3t

Postby dwarfpike » Mon May 28, 2012 1:06 pm

If you get a 'classic' regani, I suppose it might be possible ... they are more mellow towards tank mates than other dwarf pikes. But pikes tend to be a touch unpredictable.

If it is the Tapajos race, I don't see it happening as they seem to be more aggressive than the classic variant.

Females tend to have more color, since they are the ones that have the dorsal pattern. Body wise the coloration tends to be similiar. Females are also a touch smaller.
dwarfpike

Postby mok3t » Tue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Awesome. thanks DP :D

Any tips on telling the variants apart when younger? We'll be getting small ones in and i kinda wanna grow the swords alongside the pike. Rather than adding them to his/her claimed territory later.

The little peppermint plec will be fine i'm sure.
Gavin,
mok3t

Postby dwarfpike » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Not much difference no ... but it depends on how young you are getting them. If the females have already developed the dorsal pattern, they you should be able to though. The Tapajos race has distinct ocelli ... black spot/spots surrounded by white. The 'classic' regani has an irregular black pattern instead of a circle. I'll post a pic of mine to show you as it's harder to describe, more like multiple spots bleeding into each other:

dwarfpike

Postby mok3t » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks DP.

Turns out they weren't Reganis after all. But even better! Check the other thread. :)
Gavin,
mok3t

Return to South American Cichlids