South American Cichlids • medium sized cichlid for comnunity tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

medium sized cichlid for comnunity tank

Postby alisonn » Fri May 18, 2012 8:02 am

Hi,
Just joined and would like some advice.
I have recently upgraded to a 2700 litre tank. Mainly so far I am moving my catfish (doradids, woodcats, plecs, synos, hoplos) and clown loaches in. I also have some scissortails and so far 2 filament barbs but I will be increasing the barbs to about 8 when I can.
Just wanted some ideas for fairly peaceful cichlids from 3" up to about 6" that I could have 6 of or a couple of compatible species?
thanks
Alison
alisonn

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: medium sized cichlid for comnunity tank

Postby bbortko » Fri May 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Festivum can get closer to 8" but are fairly peaceful and occupy the upper water column which will compliment your bottom feeders nicely
bbortko

Postby jd lover » Fri May 18, 2012 10:34 pm

gourami are another. also angels can be nice. i personally dont like mixing catfish with anything since most (if not all) are nocturnal and that may stress out the rest of the tank
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby alisonn » Mon May 21, 2012 3:52 am

bbortko wrote:Festivum can get closer to 8" but are fairly peaceful and occupy the upper water column which will compliment your bottom feeders nicely

I will have a closer look at those then.
alisonn

Postby alisonn » Mon May 21, 2012 3:55 am

jd lover wrote:gourami are another. also angels can be nice. i personally dont like mixing catfish with anything since most (if not all) are nocturnal and that may stress out the rest of the tank

Unfortunately both of those have long fins and would not be suitable for mixing with active barbs.

Interesting - I have never heard anyone voice that opinion before but I can understand that with very sensitive fish.
alisonn

Postby jd lover » Mon May 21, 2012 9:19 am

My apologies I miss the part about you having barbs. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't barbs prefer to be in schools?
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby alisonn » Tue May 22, 2012 4:08 am

Yes - there are 2 large ones and when possible I am adding more up to 8. Managed to get 3 more at the weekend. Filament barbs are hard to come by at the moment in the UK.
alisonn

Postby mok3t » Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm

A nice big school of angels WOULD look amazing. Or (although NOT south american) In a tank that size you could happily stock a few pairs of herotilapia Multispinosa (rainbow cichlids)

Although if memory serves i dont think Filament barbs are ACTUALLY very nippy. Like Odessa barbs for example, kept a shoal with angels for ages with no issue. The trick is to have enough barbs.
Gavin,
In the hobby since 1993, Cichlids since 2005.
mok3t

Postby alisonn » Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am

Yes I think I might look more into the rainbow cichlids.
alisonn

Return to South American Cichlids