South American Cichlids • Discus tankmates

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Discus tankmates

Postby cicklid » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Well this is why I stopped posting here,you have nothing better to do than harrass people
cicklid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby halffrozen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:29 pm

Don't let one person who is trying to get their point across to you by their own ways/means of doing it, deter you away from this place. Block them if you feel the need. But JD is kind of right... and kind of wrong.. there are at times... prefect conditions, but most of the time, there is always SOMETHING that isn't perfect.
halffrozen

Postby jd lover » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:02 am

im not harrassing you you just choose to ignor advice and claim your fish are fine. they maybe alive but that doesnt mean theyre thriving. if paremeter are perfect why dont you post the numbers? if it was truely perfect you would have posted numbers. that what everyone does. also i have read your other posts, imo you just choose to ignor all advice you get so im done. good luck with your discus but please when you fail dont tell everyone discus are hard to kept. this is how the myth started in the first place.
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby jd lover » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:57 pm

i would also like to apologize to everyone including the op for my harsness. i dont mean anything by it but when i give advice i only want to help you to succeed and help you the best i can. it does anger me when someone ask for advice and not even consider the options that are on the table. i truely wish the op the best of luck, i will try to help you farther but i cant unless you atleast consider what im say.
jd lover

Postby Number6 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:18 pm

jd lover wrote:i would also like to apologize to everyone including the op for my harsness. i dont mean anything by it but when i give advice i only want to help you to succeed and help you the best i can.

:) well, that's a start. :thumb:

cicklid, glad to hear that all is still going ok. Keep up with those water changes!!! :thumb:
My WC cichlids are gonna be caught on rod n reel!
Number6

Postby Shahlvah » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Discus are schooling fish that NEED to be along with other discus, one will be sad, three will pick on each other and eventually kill each other, you need more than 5, like 7, 10....but in a big tank.
I have been following JD's advise on my discus with great success.
I am new, but I do follow instructions from the people that have more experience since I want to be successful, specially with discus since they are expensive fish, you just don't want to loose any of them.
So in my experience, I will set a bigger tank, and buy more discus.
tank companions? the pleco is ok and so the cories, I have tetras because they are peaceful and no threat, I feed in two timings. I feed the tetras first in one side of the tank, and then I feed my discus, they all eat, when the discus have finish their food or eaten enough, the tetras eat what ever is left. Is working for my discus...
Shahlvah

Postby Shahlvah » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:37 pm

"gutted wrote:
are you ready to have them in a bare bottom, do 50%+ water changes every day and feed them beefheart 3-5 times a day (which gets very expensive). after i read that about discus i knew that id never own any. beautiful cichlid but way too much work for me. discus are delicate fish and juvenile discus are even worse."

I not necesarilly agree with that. I have an aquarium with sand substrate, plastic plants (I took some out, but left some for hidding etc.) and I do water changes twice a week. I feed my discus mostly NLS and twice a week at the most a treat of black worms or brien shrimp or bloodheart, they don't seem to care too much for the blood heart, so I keep it simple to one square now and then, they love the worms and the shrimp, and they eat the NLS very well.
I do have a very nice filtration system with a 90 gallon sump with an UV and an Fluval FX5 that I regularly update filtration media.
I check the water parameters every day and at the slightest variation I do a water change even if is not schedule yet. I am not taking chances with these guys. they are all still juvies, most of my discus are about 4 inches big, but I have one that is slightly smaller, a ring leopard skin, he gets his way around and eat well. since I have 4 new fish that I failed to quarantine correctly, I watch the carefully to be aware of any change, anyone not eating, or any other suspicious factor. so far they are all good and I pray they remain like that.
I am learning in all this process, as you I have read a lot about them, but nothing like have someone that has been doing this for a long time to give you some insight.
Any how, at the end you will do what ever you want to do, in my country we said" who ever don't listen to advise will not grow older."
So let's not fight in here, because I have been following JD's advise since I started this tank with the idea of having discus I can tell you that he knows his stuff. When I went my own way I lost 2 discus, never knew why, probably because my water changes where not as much as required? I was just doing it as I do for my mbunas, that are hardy and really don't care. (25%) now I do larger ones 50% to 65% Or maybe because they were sick to start with since in the morning they were OK, in the evening dead.
I just don't want that to happen again. So I keep close to the instructions.
It is just my advise, We are new in this and the experienced people are here to help us succeed with our discus, or what ever other fish we might want to have in our tanks. We just need to be a little humble and accept that despite all the reading we have done, we don't have hands on experience. And there is exactly where they come in.
Just my opinion.
Shahlvah

Postby moneygetter1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 am

:popcorn: WOW!!! This has been a heck of a ride. 'cicklid' you need to know the difference between fact & opinion. You will encounter a number of different opinions about what you're trying to do. Some will be helpful, others not so much. Bottom line is the choice is yours. Fact: Schooling fish do better in groups (5 or more). Fact: It's easier to grow-out juvies in a bare bottom tank. Fact: Discus require temps of 85/88 to thrive. Now OPINION is none of these things matter & you can be successful in spite of the facts. A word of caution ... just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should. Keep the fishes best interest primary & the need to prove yourself second & you'll be just fine. Take this from one thats traveled that road & learned a thing or two along the way. Good Luck!! "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - GBR's - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2A/C500, 2MaxiJet 1200's
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Postby Shahlvah » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 am

I love your fish moneygetter.....nice, remember when we were planning it all?
Seem like a long time ago....
Shahlvah

Postby kaphil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:59 am

moneygetter1 wrote::popcorn: WOW!!! This has been a heck of a ride. 'cicklid' you need to know the difference between fact & opinion. You will encounter a number of different opinions about what you're trying to do. Some will be helpful, others not so much. Bottom line is the choice is yours. Fact: Schooling fish do better in groups (5 or more). Fact: It's easier to grow-out juvies in a bare bottom tank. Fact: Discus require temps of 85/88 to thrive. Now OPINION is none of these things matter & you can be successful in spite of the facts. A word of caution ... just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should. Keep the fishes best interest primary & the need to prove yourself second & you'll be just fine. Take this from one thats traveled that road & learned a thing or two along the way. Good Luck!! "T"

bit patronizing, that.
Also, not entirely correct in my view. A fact is something that is indisputable, and (for example) many discus keepers do not feel the need to keep their fish at over 85F, including myself (not that I'm claiming to be any expert on discus).
It is easy to fall into the trap of presenting popular views as facts, when they are nothing of the sort.
And that's a fact.
kaphil

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:14 am

The tempt that discus needs to be kept at varies while adults can be kept at 80-82f juvies are best kept at 84f+. The reason behind this is that adults don't need to eat as much as juvies. Higher heat increases metabolism in juvie which is a good thing. So there is little fact that Discus needs to be kept at 85f
jd lover

Postby moneygetter1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:14 pm

love your fish moneygetter.....nice, remember when we were planning it all?
Seem like a long time ago....

:popcorn: Thanks so much!! Yes, time flies when you're having fun. Been a bit busy but get back to me we need to talk.

bit patronizing, that.
Also, not entirely correct in my view. A fact is something that is indisputable, and (for example) many discus keepers do not feel the need to keep their fish at over 85F, including myself (not that I'm claiming to be any expert on discus).
It is easy to fall into the trap of presenting popular views as facts, when they are nothing of the sort.
And that's a fact.

:( Patronizing??? No, no, no. Never that friend. Sorry if you felt that. I learned many years ago that looking down or talking down to folks is not the way to live. Success is looking up & speaking up even if we have to agree to disagree. Your view is just that; & it is shared by many. I'm far from an expert in this case but I defer to Bernd Degen, Jack Wattley, Dr. Clifford Chan, Dick Au, Herbert R. Axelrod, Warren E. Burgess, Dr. Eduard Schmidt-Focke, Yasushi Nakamura & so on because after reading these studies & works, credibility & reliability is somewhat established. Do they disagree on certain issues .... of course. But the basics like socialization & husbandry aren't really rocket science. If you choose to do otherwise, that's kinda on you. You're entitled. Never said it couldn't be done. I truly believe what's at the bottom of my sig, & if I can help in any way I am only to happy. Folks that know me, young & old, come over to look stuff up because I am a book 'junky'. The 'library' is always open for research. I learned sharing as a child & my children & their children are better for it. "T"
Cardinal, Neon & Pristella Tetra - GBR's - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
125gl TENECOR, Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2A/C500, 2MaxiJet 1200's
"KNOWLEDGE GAINED & NOT SHARED IS KNOWLEDGE LOST"
moneygetter1

Postby kaphil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:28 pm

ok fair enough. There are discus 'experts' that don't hold with the temperature theory, but anyway we can agree to disagree at this point!
jd lover wrote:The tempt that discus needs to be kept at varies while adults can be kept at 80-82f juvies are best kept at 84f+. The reason behind this is that adults don't need to eat as much as juvies. Higher heat increases metabolism in juvie which is a good thing. So there is little fact that Discus needs to be kept at 85f

the comment was about "discus", not juvies, as was my reply.
kaphil

Postby kaphil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:32 pm

sorry jdlover, after posting the above I think I may have misread your post (the last sentence) - if so apologies and ignore the above!
kaphil

Postby jd lover » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I was talking about juvie discus lol =p. I believe there was a researcher (forgot the name) you said that he had found discus in water that was around 78f while this maybe true its not ideal. In nature tempt swings all the time. But since we can control a comfortable environment for our fish why not right?
jd lover

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids