South American Cichlids • Chocolate dither fish

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Chocolate dither fish

Postby Andrew157 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello, I have a 5" female Chocolate I'm gonna be putting in a 56g. The tank dimensions are 30"L by 18"D by 24"H.
What dither fish would go best in the tank native to South America? She is going to be the only cichlid in the tank.
Andrew157

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby scarhbar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Well, true dithers are used for diminishing aggression, I think. Considering you have no other cichlids in there, I think you don't have to worry about that. I think you are just looking for a schooling fish for your tank.

Are you looking for a lot of them? or just a few? You could always get some larger Tetras, like Buenos Aires, Serpaes, or Black Fins. Or some people might tell you Silver Dollars, but I think they would like more room. Good luck! try helping me with my issue "Complete disaster..."
scarhbar

Postby ahud » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Dithers are fish used to make other fish more comfortable, they have nothing to do with dispersing aggression. For example, you use tetras to bring out more reclusive cichlids, the cichlids see the tetras swimming around and assume its safe to be out and out.

As for dithers, I'm not sure. Your tank is pretty small considering how big the chocolate gets. You could always try a few giant danios and see how that works out.
ahud

Postby scarhbar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm

ya, Ahud had it right. my bad
scarhbar

Postby bluejack23 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Very well put Ahud.
bluejack23

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 am

Agreed with Ahud

The difference (to clarify) is:

Dither fish - make larger fish/cichlids feel more comfortable. The ideology is that if the smaller fish are out and about then clearly it must be ok for the larger fish to come out into the open

Target fish: These fish are used as fish to reduce aggression between breeding pairs, and gives cichlids an outlet for their aggression, as opposed to letting out their aggression on their partner.
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby Andrew157 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks everyone. I agree that the Silver Dollars are too much for the tank. Some of the Tetra ideas are excellent.

How big do female chocolates get? I was under the impression they rarely get past 8". She doesn't swim around much... She just looks up, I figured since she isn't much of a swimmer, the 56 would be good for her.

Let me know!
Andrew157

Return to South American Cichlids