Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Oscar Rehabilitation

12K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  vann59 
#1 ·
I have a friend who has had an oscar for some time now. I always ask how it's doing knowing it's in a tank too small and keeping the tank clean is not a priority. This past weekend she said " he's not doing so well, his skin is patchy and not looking good". I took this opportunity to ask her for the fish so I could get him back to good health. I picked him up yesterday. My plan is to do water changes and feed him well. My other plan is to get her intertested in other fish that are appropiate for her tank size and also get her to maintain the tank. This only day one but will try post pictures of the progress.

See less See more
#6 ·
1 week update. Started out the rehab in a 20 gallon so I could get him settled and control the melafix I was adding. After a couple days he has been moved into a 75 gallon with a pleco. I am doing water changes every other day. I am feeding a couple times a day. 1 week and already a dramatic improvement. As you can tell by the pics. Long way to go though.

#7 ·
Congrats for continuing to work at this and tough out the (continuing) recovery... This guy will be well worth it once he's fully healed and will definitely be a GREAT wet pet =D>

#12 ·
Forgot to mention my conversation with the "previous" owner of this Oscar. I mentioned I would like to keep him and get her into some smaller, easier to keep fish. I also spoke to her about filtration and maintaining her tank. She agrees that I should keep the Oscar. I'll get her on the right track. Thank you for the compliments but it's really just doing what I do with all my tanks and fish.

#16 ·
Leviathan64 said:
Forgot to mention my conversation with the "previous" owner of this Oscar. I mentioned I would like to keep him and get her into some smaller, easier to keep fish. I also spoke to her about filtration and maintaining her tank. She agrees that I should keep the Oscar. I'll get her on the right track. Thank you for the compliments but it's really just doing what I do with all my tanks and fish.
I'm really happy to hear this news! :thumb:

#17 ·
Day 26 of rehab. She has been moved into a 125 with a similar size bocourti, smaller festae and synodontis. Lighting is a little different and the tank is colored from the wood. Getting along and enjoying the room. Improvement has been made but again not as dramatic. I was told by a reliable source that some of the "holes" may never completely heal. Is there another move in her future? Only time will tell.

#23 ·
All I can say is WOW. :eek: When I saw the first picture, I was horrified. I never, ever would have guessed that this O could make SUCH a dramatic improvement. The luckiest day in that O's life was the day you took her home.

Well done and thank you for giving that O such wonderful care! =D> =D> =D> =D>

#25 ·
Ask and you shall receive. Day 31 of rehab. Moved back into a 75 gallon with her friend the festae. I needed room for a pair of Haitiensis in my 125. Improvement made once again. I had just fed her and she is messy. Still doing water changes every couple days, adding a little salt and temperature is 80. Waiting for more improvement before she moves down the road to 42 square feet of space.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.