Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Tiger oscar help

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hauntingurcoma 
#1 ·
So, we recently picked up a tiger oscar and he is in a 55g tank with 2 gourami's, a jewel cichlid, and another cichlid. He seems to not be swimming as fast as the other fish but he is eating good, and he is always hungry. Do they normally swim slower? Also, he is getting picked on by the jewel cichlid. The jewel keeps biting at his fins and the oscar isn't really fighting back. Shouldn't the oscar be more aggressive than the jewel cichlid?

#3 ·
My oscar is never in a hurry to get anywhere other than to where food is. I've had my jewel in the same tank as my oscar, but it was in my 75 gal and my oscar is SIGNIFICANTLY larger so the jewel didn't mess with it. Jewels in general are very aggressive. I haven't had a cichlid that matched the female that I have now. The oscar needs a bigger tank (eventually) and the jewel will never fear anything. As for the oscar, they have their own personality maybe yours is just passive like mine (the only thing it attacks are feeder fish and my pleco every now and again).

#4 ·
Jewels are a very aggressive fish no matter what they are with.I've had them in communities and breed them and are just plain mean.They are afican and usually should not be mixed with the american cichlids.Oscars ime are not aggressive just big and hungry all the time.We the oscar gets to be 14 inches or so he may just eat your jewel.Oscars are typically passive in nature and will get bullied by alot of other fish like jewels and convicts which are bullies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.