Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pic of my Wild Red Head Severum's.

8K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  redblufffishguy 
#1 ·

I bought them from the Cichlid Exchange. She follows him around like a stalker.

See less See more
#13 ·
djim , How big are the $30 Rotkeils ? 8 inch Rotkeils are about $40 and the babies ( 2 inches ) are about $7 here at the local fishstores ... I hear they are ( like Chocalate Cichlids ) are extremely slow growing , so maybe $40 for a 8 inch fish is a good deal ?

#18 ·
Bamboo said:
djim , How big are the $30 Rotkeils ? 8 inch Rotkeils are about $40 and the babies ( 2 inches ) are about $7 here at the local fishstores ... I hear they are ( like Chocalate Cichlids ) are extremely slow growing , so maybe $40 for a 8 inch fish is a good deal ?
We just looked at the Rotkeil Severums they are all 2-4 inches long, and are showing red only on the anal and dorsal fins no red on the heads. and the price is 30.00 dollars per fish.

#20 ·
djm761 said:
Bamboo said:
We just looked at the Rotkeil Severums they are all 2-4 inches long, and are showing red only on the anal and dorsal fins no red on the heads. and the price is 30.00 dollars per fish.
The price around here has dropped dramatically in the last few years as they have become more common. Around $7 for 2'' to 3" fish seems to be the norm, which is about 3 times wholesale. The anal fins should be orange and the heads are blue. This will show before the shoulder turns red.

#23 ·
They look great!

I'd think they are all the essentially the same as the OP's fish though...do you think the difference in barring patterns is significant enough to classify them into different "species"?

Might be confusing because male rotkeil has a fair amount of red on the face, and females don't (pretty much all blue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.