Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Switching Gears... Opinions needed

9K views 61 replies 14 participants last post by  TheFishGuy 
#1 ·
The species listed in red are species I currently own. I plan to stock my big tank with SA cichlids.

'Aequidens' pulcher
'Aequidens' rivulatus
Amphilophus festae
Astronotus crassipinnis
Astronotus ocellatus
Caquetaia spectabilis
Caquetaia umbrifera
Cichlasoma facetum
Cichlasoma portalegrense
Crenicichla semicincta

'Geophagus' steindachneri
Guianacara sphenozona
Heros severus
Hoplarchus psittacus
Hypselecara temporalis

Satanoperca jurupari
Uaru amphiacanthoides

The tank is an "L" shaped 1200 gallon.

What would you add from this list?

See less See more
#4 ·
With a tank that size, you can stock a me...seriously, I think that tank is larger than my kitchen.

Im not going to comment on the fish stocking list, but I've always been a fan of natural looking tanks, what about going with a few more peaceful species, and adding a couple schools of an insane amount of tetra's?

#5 ·
The list of species that you do have are all relatively peaceful. I don't know how well they would tolerate a big umbee. That being said, from what I've read of others owning juvenile umbees, they are quite shy for a long time. It's much the same case with dovii. They are typically very shy and skittish until they hit sexual maturity, but when they do of course, they are maniacs.

If it were me, I'd trade the Umbee for a... myersi.

I think the Festae will be ok. They can be quite aggressive but there really should be enough room for them. Really their aggression is conspecific and or derived from breeding IME. Again this being personal preference, but I'd swing more towards some of the earth eaters. Much more peaceful and very overlooked. G. brasiliensis, A. heckelii, Surinamensis.... lots of options there.

#7 ·
Don't want to hijack the thread, but mind telling where you purchased the tank?

As far as stocking, I think smaller fish really make a tank that big look great. Apistos, laetacara, dwarf pikes, acaras, and then a couple of large fish for the center piece.

#9 ·
ahud said:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but mind telling where you purchased the tank?

As far as stocking, I think smaller fish really make a tank that big look great. Apistos, laetacara, dwarf pikes, acaras, and then a couple of large fish for the center piece.
There's plenty of opportunity to have colonies of smaller fish. I'd like to do about 25 G. stiendachnari...

Not a big fan of apistos....

#11 ·
50 Apistos, 1000 Neon Tetras, 200 Cory Cats, and 500 Otto cats (what an understocked tank)! That would be such a cool tank!
But I understand your love for 'larger' fish, so go with what you like (and what likes eachother!)

Manoah Marton

#12 ·
Personally, I'd do Umbee, Festae, GT with a variety of CA's, or a large Malawi Hap setup.

But since you want a SA tank, I'd do a large group of S. Jurupari , a pair or two of H. Severus, a pair of A. Pulcher, with possibly a large group of Angelfish, or Silver Dollars. If you didn't have the Oscars, I'd replace the Angels/Sd's with a large school of Columbian Tetras or Bleeding Heart Tetras.

#20 ·
Hi TheFishGuy,

Why the switch from all the large CAs you have in there?

Fevz's Uaru look great and have sparked my interest. I have not kept them; but I would do a group of them.

Although no experience, I would be concerned that the psittacus may direct their aggression towards the Uaru as they have similar body shape/eyes. Has anyone kept these two together? The tank size may eliminate this concern.

Would you put chocolates in there? Too aggressive?

Thanks,
Matt

#22 ·
Well, it seems that I've got a good start to a stock list.

5-Astronotus ocellatus (One breeding pair of red tigers, two sub adult lutino and a sub adult red tiger)
4-Caquetaia spectabilis (Picking up three more from a fellow club member at next weekends O.C.A. Extravaganza)
6-Cichlasoma portalegrense (Two breeding pairs, one of which has fry now)
1-Crenicichla semicincta (Wild caught and will double as population control :wink: )
5-Hoplarchus psittacus (These will eventually be the main focus of the tank, currently about 5-6")
3-Hypselecara temporalis (Two of which are a breeding pair that I'll be picking up at the Extravaganza, the fifth wheel is a female.)
10-Geophagus Altifrons (Also being picked up at the O.C.A. Extravaganza from a fellow club member.)

Still wanted and haven't found yet:

Uaru amphiacanthoides... I am on the hunt, so guard your tanks well!

Once I find the Uaru I will be content with the stock list. Ideally I'd like to find either a pair or six sub adults.

I have sold off a lot of the current stock but the tank's still not ready yet. The altifrons are advertised as 3-4 inches, if they are indeed that size they will go in the mix right away, if not they will be in a 125 for a while.

Almost forgot, there's a male and female fully mature (I'd hope so after 13 years) pair of silver dollars that will stay in the tank.

Once all the current fish have found new homes either in my tanks or yours I will introduce all of the SA cichlids on the same day. The tank is in shambles at the moment and will be completely gutted of all decor this coming friday morning. I'll be taking quite a few fish with me to the Extavaganza that have been pre sold and a handful to try and sell on site. If the stars align the tank will be put together and stocked with SA cichlids from the list over the Thanks Giving Weekend.

And yes, I will gladly post pictures and possibly a video... :)

#25 ·
oldcatfish said:
You never did tell us...why the switch?
After aquiring the psittacus a few months back I've gotten more and more excited about keeping them for the duration. So I made a decision to build a SA tank around them.

Also, after some consideration I think I may do a group of apistos to see how they fair. I can take the middle of the large area of the tank and making a reef of sorts for them to live in. The pike would be my only concern for their survival... Thougths?

#26 ·
ebjdftw said:
TheFishGuy said:
And yes, I will gladly post pictures and possibly a video... :)
many forum users are looking forward to this :thumb:
+10 on this... I'm pretty sure 90% if this forum is eagerly awaiting this :popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.