South American Cichlids • Green Terror Pictures

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Postby LSBoost » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:08 pm

I promise I'll get some more Pictures up for you guys soon. I'll test out my other lens this time. Umm I'll probably take the pictures tonight and get it up here by tomorrow night. Hang on guys..

Benny, Try to get a piece of driftwood that is not sharp. You never know when your fish will run into it.
LSBoost

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby benny71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 am

benny71, though it's certainly not ideal, the GT might be ok long term with your other fish, if it's a large tank that's decorated properly.

Decorate the tank with a large overhanging tree root/driftwood on one side, with a rockpile (with a lot of caves) on the other. Leave a mostly open space in between. The GT normally will claim the driftwood, and the Africans will normally claim the rocky area. That setup usually even works with more aggressive CA cichlids and Africans.

Benny, Try to get a piece of driftwood that is not sharp. You never know when your fish will run into it.

OK, I stopped by Petsmart tonight to look at some brighter lighting for my tank and I came across this:

I know it's mass produced, unoriginal and it doesn't look that great in the picture, but it actually looks really good in person...

It is about 18 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter(at the bottom)...When I saw it, I immediately thought about this thread.

Would something like this work? If not, can one of you post an example that would work better?

Thanks a lot...I'd really like to keep this fish in this tank, but if push comes to shove I'll turn the 55g I'm getting on Saturday into his/her tank.
benny71

Postby oldcatfish » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 am

Benny71, that should work very well. And it will look just fine after it's in the tank for awhile.
oldcatfish

Postby benny71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

oldcatfish wrote:Benny71, that should work very well. And it will look just fine after it's in the tank for awhile.

Thanks OCF, I'll probably go pick one up and rearrange my tank tonight. :thumb:

If this doesn't work, I'll probably get another GT(of the opposite sex once I can determine this one's) and turn the tank I'm getting Saturday into a GT tank.
benny71

Postby LSBoost » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:03 pm

LSBoost

Postby benny71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Handsome fish LSBoost!

OCF, I bought that tree today and rearranged my tank...I also found out I need some new rocks, because the ones I have don't look good in a corner. LOL.

I'll snap a picture and post it later once the water clears back up.
benny71

Postby benny71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:35 pm

Here is the tank now with the new decoration for the GT.

Like I said, I hate the rocks now, but they will have to suffice until I change out the gravel for sand...Also, I added a black background, but I haven't flattened it out yet.

I'll be switching out the fake plants with real ones that look like the tall one in the back left corner when I do the substrate change.

benny71

Postby Manoah Marton » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:03 pm

Nice fish/tanks both of you!!!
There's something wrong with having an entire food chain at your home.
Manoah Marton

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Amen,

Love the GT Boost, makes me want one really bad... :popcorn:
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby oldcatfish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Benny, the tank looks nice, but I do have a suggestion.

Make the space between the driftwood and the rockpile a little more open, so that the territories are a bit better defined. If there isn't any aggression between the GT and Africans, don't worry about it though.
oldcatfish

Postby oldcatfish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh yeah, and to LSBoost, your GT is really a stunner!
oldcatfish

Postby benny71 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:00 pm

oldcatfish wrote:Benny, the tank looks nice, but I do have a suggestion.

Make the space between the driftwood and the rockpile a little more open, so that the territories are a bit better defined. If there isn't any aggression between the GT and Africans, don't worry about it though.

How would I go about doing that? The driftwood is almost touching the glass...Are you saying I should get rid of the smaller rock pile?

There is zero aggression between the GT and the Peacocks, but I'm sure that will change over time.
benny71

Postby Chubbs the Jellybean » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Yeah the middle rock pile being removed I believe is the suggestion
55g (soon 75) - 1 Oscar (5"), 1 spotted raphael, 10 Tiger barbs, 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
20L Planted - 1 HRP "Rio Danli", 8 pristella tetras, 2 unsexed HRP
15g - 5 unsexed Cutteri "Rio Jutiapa"
Chubbs the Jellybean

Postby oldcatfish » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Yes, the middle rockpile should be removed; but only if you see aggression.
oldcatfish

Postby benny71 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:17 pm

oldcatfish wrote:Yes, the middle rockpile should be removed; but only if you see aggression.

I went ahead and moved the GT to my other 55g that now has 4 tiger barbs and a pleco...I'm sure I'll have to remove the TBs over time, but right now the GT couldn't care less that they are in there. Hopefully he/she gets some more size before they have to be removed, because the tank will look pretty empty without them.
benny71

Previous

Return to South American Cichlids