Cichlid Fish Forum banner

rotkeil severum?

14K views 89 replies 16 participants last post by  hey_wood1981 
#1 ·
#4 ·
hey_wood1981
I cant thank you enough for posting this thred, I didnt want to buy the 20 you were looking at but i contacted the seller and got 6 for myself, i live a couple hours away from the seller so shipping wasnt bad. I have been looking for Rotkeils around here for a LONG time and have been unsuccesful. Im very excited to get mine. It was a great deal, especially for F1 fry!

Thanks again, keep us posted with pics when you get them!

#6 ·
I got 3 from a breeder in Des Moines back in mid may during a local fish swap. here are some pictures of them.
My larger one

my other two smaller ones look like this.

These pictures are about a month old and the red is really coming out on the large one now.

#10 ·
Ooh a chance to post Rotkeil pics, hahahahahahaaa!

Clicky!

You have just bought yourself the coolest fish, ever, in my opinion of course :D.

Different headshape on your US ones, Gerry included, those are all F1s right, I know mine is WC but it's interesting that the breeders and Gerry's (and now yours) have a more "triangular" pointed snout. I wonder what the collection point is.

Very nice fish anyway, they should grow up to be stunners. Welcome to the Rottie club.... :thumb:

#13 ·
DeadFishFloating said:
Ooh a chance to post Rotkeil pics, hahahahahahaaa!
I was wondering what was taking you so long. :lol:

NorthShore awesome rotkeils mate. How did the spawn go?
Thanks!

They were originally kept with a group of 7 adult Hecklii who decimated every one of their 8-9 spawns. The rotties are not the best parents, though. They gave up guarding their fry for pellets. :?

I sold the Hecklii and the sevs went through a divorce, lol. They're in a tank together but not getting along at the moment. :)

#16 ·
Correctamundo!

Thanks Ryan! They are cool fish, you'll get them at some point :D.

The rotties are not the best parents, though. They gave up guarding their fry for pellets.
Gerry, you sound surprised! :lol: I may only have one but I can tell you right now that food comes above all else, far above all else.... They're pigs for pellets and you really have to watch that, mine would eat me out of house and home if I'd let him...

As for sexing - venting is best bet, after that the "squiggles" on the opercular - ie males generally have them, or a lot more of them, whereas females tend to be lacking such extensive markings. Gerry's photos show this really well (the second pic of the post he linked you to). Also females are slighter in physique than males.

#18 ·
:thumb: Thanks bud.

As for the pineapples, those aren't sevs IMO, they don't resemble any Heros I've ever seen. They look more like a Caquetaia or something similar - at least in that threads pics. You have one right? Can you take a few pics of it when you sort your cable out, I'd be interested in seeing some decent pics of them.

Good luck for the arrivals tomorrow!

#19 ·
hey_wood1981

So whats the deal? you should have them by now! Where are the pics?!? :lol:
Seriously tho, let me know how they are, I have never dealt with shipping fish and mine are coming monday or tuesday.
Hope they all arrived in good condition and are doing well in your tank.

#20 ·
i don't think the pineapples are severums either. i'll take some pictures when i eventually get a cable.

as for the shipping, they all arrived alive! all 26 of them. i slowly acclimated them and they all are doing fine. i'm not sure when i'll get the camera cable. my car is taking a lot of my spending money right now. new timing belt, water pump, serp. belts, blah blah blah. i will see if i can borrow a friends just to get something up.

#22 ·
i took a bunch of pics today but no luck with finding a cable. my pineapple did not want to sit still. my angels on the other hand love the camera.

hope your engine test went well. what are you working on? also, how big was your rottie when you purchased him?

zach, good luck with your first shipment. i'm sure all will go well. keep us posted on em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.