South American Cichlids • Started a new tank

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Started a new tank

Postby Migidy_Mike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi All,

I have purchased and quarantined the following fish over the last two months and now have a 55gal. tank with the following:

5 - 1" green severums
3 - 1"uaru
3- 1" red sholdered
2- 1" gold severums

My goal is to get a severum tank going in a 125Gal. with a variety of these beauties.

I have a fish room and in another tank have one other 7" SuperRed spotted gold severum.

In a third tank 4 - 2½ green severums.

I wanted to get some feedback on the following: My large 7" is mellow and he just cruises around and will only chase someone if one of the little guys tries to nip his fins.

Have many fish would be realistic to have in my 125gal.? In my 100, I have one other 6 - 7" severum and they are pretty mellow and don't tear around the tank a whole lot. I know I could use online advistors to size my tank, but what do you cichlid gurus have to say about the number of fish I can keep in my 125Gal and... right now do you think it would be stressful for my 7" severum if I put him in with some of the little 1" fish? He won't chase them, but Im wondering if they will stress him out? He's not use to a bunch of little fish, but I'm curious if he'll grow acustomed to it after a short while since he's so big, mellow. He doesn't chase anyone even the little 1" fish. All fish are severum species.

Thank you,
M
Migidy_Mike

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Started a new tank

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 am

I don't think the large Severum would get stressed surrounded by tiny fish, but I'd grow them out a bit before adding just to be safe. Also, the large severums you have now are mellow, but when introduced to other mature fish problems can arise. Uaru get large. You can try growing all the little guys up together and hope for the best. A 125 is a nice sized tank, but expect to remove bullies as the fish mature. I don't think you're going to find a straight yes or no answer.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby JRW81 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 am

I agree I don't think the smaller fish will stress the larger severum. My largest severum can careless about any other fish in the tank. I've had fish in with him as little as .5 inch and have never seen him bother any of them. Now whenever I add a new fish that is closer to his size he will fight with it for a minute or so just to establish his place at the top and then everything is fine after that
JRW81

Postby mambee » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 am

I've kept Uaru. They are interesting fish but grow very large. I kept them with angels and severums with no problems. Different severums have different personalities. I had to rehome a super red due to aggression. As a youngster, he would always chase my silver dollars and target their eyes. As an adult, he killed a large geophagus and removed the eye of another. I also found that my adult turquoise severums regarded any smaller fish as food, and even went after BNPs.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Return to South American Cichlids