General Aquaria Discussion • Width over length

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Width over length

Postby whalebite » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:44 pm

I have been thinking especially with cyps, but also just for general fish keepers. I can see why a long tank is better for most cichlids, it lets fish get further away from an overly dominate fish, but when talking about more peaceful and pelagic species, like cyps, benthichromis, some Malawi species, but also certain saltwater fish, wouldn't a more circular tank fine? My main question is about 40 gallon breeder which have more bottom/surface than a 55. But also weird tanks like hexagons, cylinders, and cubes. Like it one had a 4x3 ft tank, and say add a circular structure in the middle make a whole lot of swimming space. Sort of using tricks that are used by pelagic fish keepers, mainly Monterey bay, which have 4-5ft diameter cylinders stuffed full of anchovies, or in their research section maybe a 20-30 ft across pool they house tuna in. They also use unidirectional current, making one of those never ending pools, or as most would call it, a fish treadmill. Can these sort of tricks be utilized in the home aquarium?
whalebite

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Width over length

Postby DJRansome » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:32 am

For Malawi, their first dash to escape tends to be three feet. If your tank is less than three foot you can see the problem. Whether they would swim in a circle and be just as happy with the success of their escape as a straight dash, IDK.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby nodima » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 am

While those same tricks are used in home aquariums - many planted tanks try to set up a 'gyre' to ensure good flow of nutrients across all the plants. I think most home aquarists instead of trying to adapt to a 40 vs a 55 would elect instead to get a 75 which has the same length as a 55 and the width of the 40 breeder. The disease gets worse, because then you start thinking that 4' is not long enough, and you find yourself with a 6' 125 (22x18x72) gallon tank. Then you realize that even more width is helpful, and you get a 180 (24x24x72). Then you start drooling over the 300's and so forth!
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby Melanddave6571 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm

nodima wrote:While those same tricks are used in home aquariums - many planted tanks try to set up a 'gyre' to ensure good flow of nutrients across all the plants. I think most home aquarists instead of trying to adapt to a 40 vs a 55 would elect instead to get a 75 which has the same length as a 55 and the width of the 40 breeder. The disease gets worse, because then you start thinking that 4' is not long enough, and you find yourself with a 6' 125 (22x18x72) gallon tank. Then you realize that even more width is helpful, and you get a 180 (24x24x72). Then you start drooling over the 300's and so forth!

TRUE!

Husband started with a 60 gallon...then he bought a used 150 gallon acrylic, hated it. Then he went out and bought a new 180 gallon freshwater and runs a sump. When he bought the 60 I wanted one. I bought a 56 gallon column....then I took over his 60....but I wanted bigger so I found a deal at a local big box store for a complete 75 gallon with stand that was on sale for $250.00 :D But the real price was $499.00 it was missing the canopy. They called all the other stores and none were on sale. They were all $499.00 And a canopy is 50.00...so they knocked off another 50.00 bucks so I got it for $200.00. The space I have I can't go bigger, I mean I could but couldn't see my fish from the living room.
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin