General Aquaria Discussion • "Re-Homing" fish

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

"Re-Homing" fish

Postby ig88250 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:54 am

Many of the tips for setting up fish tanks, especially many cichlids, is to get 6 juveniles until a pair develops. My question is: What do you do with the other 4 fish once the pair has formed?

I know many, including myself when I was first starting the hobby and I was single and flush with room freedom and money - probably just start another tank. Being married, poor and now sharing my space with a kiddo I don't quite have that luxury. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to keep some fish without having to expand to multiple tanks.

Do you donate them to a local fish store (do they even take/want them from an unknown aquarium?!?)

Let me know how YOU rehome fish so maybe I can get some ideas...
I love Cichlids but had to get rid of my tanks to move across country :(

My next tank will be a shell dweller tank!
<a>My Fish Tanks</a>
ig88250

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: "Re-Homing" fish

Postby tanker3 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:42 am

Well, I sometimes take to my LFS and they take back for credit, but mostly I take to my fish clubs and auction them off.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
30gal Tank Juvie tank
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 am

Same for me.

If I really could not rehome fish I would try for a species that does not have ratio issues. Your next tank is a shellie tank...that's a good choice.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Warhawk77 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 am

In my area I don't have a local group so if I have fish that I need to re home I take them to the LFS. I get store credit and normally pick up food or another fish if I know something else will work.

Normally when you buy the group of 6 by the time you have the pair the others are old enough to sex also so you can get what you paid for out of the fish at the LFS and some times you can get a little more.
Warhawk77

Return to General Aquaria Discussion