General Aquaria Discussion • What are these snails?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

What are these snails?

Postby JanaJones » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:42 am

These snails have always been in my tank, I bought the tank, sand and fish from a guy who was getting out of the hobby. 135 gallon African Cichlid setup. I'm not worried about the snails, I may buy a few clown loaches to keep the population in check though... All my fish are healthy and I'm sure the snails help clean the tank. Just wanted to know if anyone knows what type they are. Again I didn't intentionally introduce them so idk!! They only come out at night, only stay in the sand, never go on the glass and I've never seen their "face" or "body". The mobile part of them is always buried in the sand while their shell sticks up. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

JanaJones

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: What are these snails?

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:10 am

Malaysian trumpet snails. Not harmful, quite common. Don't overfeed and they will gradually diminish.

They clog up my filter intakes. After 10 years sometimes I feel I have more empty shells than substrate. :thumb:
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby JanaJones » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you! I considered those but the coloring didn't seem to match in the pics I saw. Thanks for confirming. :) In your opinion do you think I should introduce some clown loaches or just leave it be? The quantity of snails has been pretty steady. Are clown loaches even compatible with African Cichlid?
JanaJones

Postby Deeda » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Clown loaches eventually get too large for most tanks so an easy way to help remove the MTS are by using pieces of raw zucchini, cucumber or lettuce and picking the snails off the veggies daily. You can crush the snails with a hammer and then dispose of them. Avoid putting them in trash or outside unless you are sure they are dead.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby JanaJones » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Too large even for a 135 gal tank?
JanaJones

Postby DJRansome » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Underfeed and the snails will diminish. That's how you can tell you are overfeeding...same amount or more snails.

How many feet long is the 135G tank? Clowns can grow to 13" and like to be in groups of six. They also like a little lower pH than the Rift Lake Africans and are susceptible to ich.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion