General Aquaria Discussion • Photography and your tank?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Photography and your tank?

Postby Melanddave6571 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Seriously, how the heck do you get a good photograph to share? I have a point and shoot and I experimented using every setting the camera had and all the pictures don't do it justice. I also have a Canon digital Xti but haven't tried that one has. Took photography classes years ago but don't remember much.

Any tips or suggestions, And I don't want to be in the reflection either.
Melissa

75 Gallon tank
1 auratus
2 Yellow Acei
1 Johanni
2 Kenyi
1 Yellow lab
2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi
1 Red Top Zebra albino
1 Electric Blue Johanni
1 Red Top orange
2 Feather Fin
and so far last I counted 6 babies
Melanddave6571

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Photography and your tank?

Postby Deeda » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I have the same problem and no patience! We used to have a Photography forum but I think it got rolled into the General Aquaria forum since it had little traffic.

You can also use the Search tab and try some variations on How to take pics, Here is one that may be helpful.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby Steve C » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Point and shoots can be a bit harder to get good pics mainly because they don't have an adjustable flash like a SLR. If you have an external shoe flash for your Canon then try using the flash and bounce the flash off the ceiling so it does not show reflection on the glass by being flashed against the flat pane of glass. You can also get some good pics without a flash if you have the room itself as well as the tank well lit, but you will want to catch the fish while they are holding still. If you try to take a pic while they are moving without a flash then the shutter being open a bit longer will cause them to blur.

Other than that the best advice....take 10 pics for every one picture you actually want. That's not a joke either. If I post 3-4 really good clear pics of my fish then that's because I took about 50 pics total and waded through them to find the best few.
75g African/hap
75g Bleekeri
75g Jaguar
20g tall angelfish
Koi pond
Steve C

Postby Aaron S » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:16 pm

I am no photographer... but I have found that I can get a picture without the flash in it if I kind of take the picture at an angle vs the pane of the glass. I find that another issue is that since my tank is a used, scratched up hunk of junk that the camera actually focuses on the glass vs. the fish. I am actually significantly more successful at taking pictures with my cell phone than with a standard camera due to the ability to manually focus on an object in the frame (maybe you can do this with nice cameras too- dunno).
Aaron S

Return to General Aquaria Discussion