General Aquaria Discussion • Found a 150? gallon tank...former saltwater setup

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Found a 150? gallon tank...former saltwater setup

Postby RayMontana » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:52 pm

I found a guy that says he has a 150 gallon tank, 60 x 30 x 19. Im thinking hes a little long on the capacity but I havent checked. Its a former saltwater setup with 30 gallon sump in the stand. Is all this stuff able to be used in freshwater and what degree of cleaning must I do. Not sure exactly what the filters and stuff are. Its 300 mile drive for me to go get so want to make sure its worth it. complete setup with stand is 250....
RayMontana

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Found a 150? gallon tank...former saltwater setup

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Marine tanks can be used for freshwater. But I would hold out for a 72" tank. Usually the sump IS the filter.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby RayMontana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:39 am

I live in a house built in 1909. The walls , well the open ones are all pretty short. All the others have radiators along them. So I have a 5 foot open wall. I know longer tank is better but it wont fit here where I have space. I really want venustus, but not with that tank. So I have to figure out what would work. Im extremely limited to large tanks because they are so far away or really expensive. And right now the roads are totally #%$&. so traveling over the passes doesnt happen. But for the money I think its a good deal.
Not sure what I would put in it if I got it

I could put fish in the basement but then I would never see them
RayMontana

Postby wryan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:48 am

RayMontana wrote:I live in a house built in 1909. The walls , well the open ones are all pretty short. All the others have radiators along them. So I have a 5 foot open wall. I know longer tank is better but it wont fit here where I have space. I really want venustus, but not with that tank. So I have to figure out what would work. Im extremely limited to large tanks because they are so far away or really expensive. And right now the roads are totally #%$&. so traveling over the passes doesnt happen. But for the money I think its a good deal.
Not sure what I would put in it if I got it

I could put fish in the basement but then I would never see them

Based on the dimensions, the gallonage is slightly over 148 ... assuming that the dimensions are of the water volume inside the tank.

If you are thinking of placing that tank anywhere other than on a concrete floor, make sure the floor joists can support the load: 148 x 8.36 lbs per gallon = 1,237.28 lbs

And that doesn't include the weight of the tank glass, rocks, or the sump ...
wryan

Postby RayMontana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:23 pm

floor is hardwood with 3/4 inch planks for the actual floor under. 2x8 every 16 inches, gusseted, under that, 6.6 beam in the middle supported by 6x6 posts every 8 feet.its all incorporated into 8 inch thick concrete basement walls .Im thinking I'll be good from that standpoint.

I talked to the guy some more...seems I had to ASK if it held water... he says it has holes in the bottom for the sump that need to be resealed. And recommends the whole tank be resealed. I dont think I want to mess with that.
So I think the search is gonna continue..
RayMontana

Return to General Aquaria Discussion