General Aquaria Discussion • Aquarium salt and algae

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Aquarium salt and algae

Postby snorkel3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I recently set up my 75 gallon and right after it cycled everything started getting covered with brown algae and a bit of green algae on one of the tall cast rocks, anyways I was researching on how to eradicate it and saw some research on a small dose is aqaurium salt might help. I had a cartoon of API salt that I used to treat a Betta fish last year so I put a small dose in basically the amount recommend for 25 gallons. Our city water has very little sodium so I figured 1/3 the recommended dose wouldn't hurt.
That was 1 1/2 days ago and the brown algae is completely gone, it just melted away.

I know there is a lot of controversy on using salt in freshwater, but I don't see how a small amount would hurt anything, most freshwater has some salt in it and the fish adapt just fine, for instance Devil's lake in North Dakota saline levels rise and fall on the water level.
snorkel3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aquarium salt and algae

Postby tanker3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:34 pm

I do not see how a little salt eliminated your brown algae. Brown algae is a diatom algae, and usually goes away by itself after a while. So, coincidence?

Just because some fresh water has some salt in it (which is true) does not mean your fish do not mind it. Amazon fish spend generations in water that has zero salt in it. Yes, most fish will adapt to a small amount, but if there is no real need for it, I would not add any.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
30gal Tank Juvie tank
tanker3

Postby DJRansome » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 pm

I think using salt (NaCl) in fish tanks was the rule before everyone understood the cycle like we do today, but the only time I would use it now would be if my fish had ich.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby snorkel3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

Could be coincidence since the tank had recently cycled. It just disappeared overnight, even most of the green algae vanished.
I guess the fish could have ate most of it as well :-)
snorkel3

Return to General Aquaria Discussion