General Aquaria Discussion • How to start an aquarium business?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

How to start an aquarium business?

Postby Joeswinn12 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:44 am

Hi guys,
<commercial website unrelated to fish removed> I am going to start the new business at my hometown Florida, My father was a fisherman.So I like fishing.But I am going to start aquarium business by using my family fund.Before going to start a business I want to know about some tips and suggestion from your side.How can I start the business?
Last edited by DJRansome on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cichlid-forum would like to keep posts and links fish related.
Joeswinn12

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: How to start an aquarium business?

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:36 am

Get a job at the best local fish store (or fish farm if that is your goal) in the area. Work there for at least 2 years to learn the business inside and out and impress customers with your acquired knowledge and experience. You will learn everything you need to know to start your own business and maybe even start up with a customer base.

I think more of us don't do this because it's difficult to make enough profit to take a salary. Most are getting out of the brick-and-mortar fish store business and usually selling real estate sufficient for a fish farm is more profitable than using it to operate a business like this.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tanker3 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:49 pm

I applaud you desire to want to try and open a small fish store business, but I had one (Really, my own tropical fish store). Could not compete with mail order and the Petco and Petsmarts.
Problem
1) Local "Fish WholeSales" would not deliver unless I bought a certain amount, so I had to go pick up.
2) Because my business was small, my "Dry Goods" wholesale cost more then Petcos retail price.
3) I could never leave the business. no more vacations, ect.
4) Difficult to run by yourself (I did) when 2-3 customers had questions at same time.
5) You make almost no profit on fish tanks, and they occupy lots of room.
6) No matter how many different fish foods I had, someone always wanted what you do not carry. Then if you buy a box (12), the customer only buys one.
7) Everyone buys fishes and filters online now too.
8) PS--The Good fish keepers do not need anything. Their tanks are settle, fishes are growing, their filters and heaters do not break, they come in weekly to say hello.

It was fun, lots of after hours WC, but not extremely profitable.

Sorry, but do not want to discourage you. I do wish you the best of luck.
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
30gal Tank Juvie tank
tanker3

Postby RayMontana » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Instead of a brick and mortar fish store how about doing aquarium maintenance and installations in doctors offices, etc? I worked for a guy that did that, he was busy every day all day. We went to peoples homes, many different places of business.
he didnt have to keep inventory for that side, customers ordered and he bought what they wanted and got paid for it right away.
He had a fish store too but I dont see how it made all that much money. something I would love to do if I hit the lottery or something like that...good luck
RayMontana

Return to General Aquaria Discussion