General Aquaria Discussion • Receiving a 60G tank, how best to transport and re set up?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: Receiving a 60G tank, how best to transport and re set u

Postby Astrix » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 am

Anybody know what species? The coloring is horrendous (photo quality).. pale yellowish coloring and the blue iridescence.. I thought maybe labeotropheus or hemichromis but Im sure Im way off..
60G albino oscar, severum, synspilum, firemouths, salvini, convicts
60G lyretail mollies, mickey platys, SA bumblebee pims, sailfin pleco
45G rope fish, pictus cats, snowball pleco, german rams, bolivian rams
33G axolotl, female crowntail betta and more
Astrix

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby james1983 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 am

Jewel cichlid
james1983

Postby Astrix » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm

Hemochromis?
Astrix

Postby BC in SK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Astrix wrote:I buffered with some Cichlid condither and KH booster.

IMO, you really shouldn't be messing with this kind of stuff.
Unless your KH is very low (like 1 or 2) .....then there won't be any benefit to your fish. And possibly harm if you can't maintain stability when doing water changes. You want your tank water to be similar to your tap water in order to facilitate large water changes with greater ease.
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Astrix wrote:Hemochromis?

It's just aquarium strain jewel cichlid. Hemichromis guttatus
Jewel cichlids are fairly chameleon-like and can change color/pattern on a dime, dependant on mood/status, age, sex, breeding, lighting, decor ect.
Now in this faded state, it is sort of hard to tell whether your fish is the regular strain jewel or possibly what is called a 'neon' jewel. Now a neon jewel has unknown origins but is often thought to be Hemichromis guttatus, as well (or at least very similar).
Despite many on the internet still using the name Hemichromis bimaculatus for the common jewel cichlid, that is in correct. All pictures on the net of aquarium strain jewels called H. bimaculatus are mis-labeled. It is a rare fish, rarely imported and all the pictures I have seen show a fish with virtually no blue iridiophores (bright blue spots).H. guttatus is thought to be the correct scientific name for the common aquarium strain jewel because it fits the type.
BC in SK

Postby Astrix » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:27 am

Oh my!! How do you know so much??? I'd love to pick your brain. So if they are jewels.. how best do I set up their environment?? After looking at pictures I realize that these guys are very unhealthy and need a lot of nursing back to health. The bigger of the two is very aggressive towards the other one, I will be dividing the tank in half tomorrow with a rock wall to seperate them from each other to put an end to the nipping and biting. The previous owners had stated that this was the behavior displayed before in the tank. I have noticed that he bullies the smaller one from the food provided as well (not surprising) My goal is to bring these guys back to health and then rehome the bigger one to a more experienced cichlid keeper in my area..
Would he be ok with peacocks and haps?
Astrix

Postby Astrix » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:31 am

Astrix wrote:Would he be ok with peacocks and haps?

He would be the smaller one that I'd like to keep.. if however Im going to have issues then I will probably rehome him as well.. I ask but everything I've read about Jewels is that they should be kept as single species only and dont play well with others and are more aggresive.. is this all true ?
Astrix

Postby BC in SK » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:53 am

Astrix wrote:
Would he be ok with peacocks and haps?

If haps and peacocks are the direction you are going in, then maybe you would want to get rid of them. From my perspective though, I don't think 1 jewel is likely to cause much of a problem. The all-male peacock/hap tank that is often recommended is rife with aggression problems. It's really a way to maximize color in a tank, but not always very workable or practical to have a bunch of closely related males all in the same tank. In all likelyhood there would be less friction just by virtue of the fact that a jewel is a substrate spawner and thus significantly different then a mouth brooder.
Astrix wrote: The bigger of the two is very aggressive towards the other one, I will be dividing the tank in half tomorrow with a rock wall to seperate them from each other to put an end to the nipping and biting. The previous owners had stated that this was the behavior displayed before in the tank. I have noticed that he bullies the smaller one from the food provided as well (not surprising)

Conspecific aggression is often the more major aggression problem in any cichlid tank. That is, cichlids are usually most aggressive towards their own kind. Same sex and closely related, also high aggression. But when it is only 2 cichlids in the tank, it is what you expect as one will focus exclusively on the other, even seek to eliminate it from the tank.
Astrix wrote:
Astrix wrote: I ask but everything I've read about Jewels is that they should be kept as single species only and dont play well with others and are more aggresive.. is this all true ?

I wouldn't really agree with that. They are an aggressive species, though many cichlids are.
BC in SK

Postby BooyahBlake » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:45 pm

RayMontana wrote:
tanker3 wrote:
Astrix wrote:I love live plants and have heard there are only a few that do well d/t the high alkalinity needed for cichlids. Have you done live plants?
Rae

I have not had any success with Plants and African cichlids. They either pick them to shreds, or eat them (this is with Mbunas).

I have a 55 gal tank with Mbuna and it is fully planted. they nibble a bit but have not torn up anything . the tinfoil barbs eat more than they do. I have a ph of 8.2, some plants are doing better than others but none have died. Its worth a try, I think the fish benefit from the extra food... maybe I am wrong.
If they eat them, well thats why they are there. I can always get more if that happens.

agreed
29 gallon mixed
10 gallon penelope lol
65 gallon mixed ( in the works )
BooyahBlake

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion