General Aquaria Discussion • Newbie in this field

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Newbie in this field

Postby elenor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 am

Hi, I would like to have a pool built and grow cichlids in it. I have already consulted a pool builder and have chosen one of the small pool designs. I am completely new to this field and would like to get your suggestions on what are the favorable conditions I should maintain for growing cichlids? Is there any problem in growing them in pools? What is the ideal temperature for growing them? As I have to shock my pool with chlorine, is it harmful to the cichlids? I expect genuine suggestions.
Last edited by snorkel3 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed
elenor

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Newbie in this field

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Shocking the pool with chlorine would kill the fish... very quickly. You will have to live with a somewhat green pool at times, which will actually be beneficial for the fish. UV may cut down on some of the algae content.

Depending on the species you are to keep, 75-78F is around ideal. You don't want large fluctuations either.

There is no problem with keeping them in pools, other than the inability to shock the pool at all... Though if this is outdoors, we have a relatively short season in Canada, and what do you plan on doing with them for the rest of the year? Are you hoping the fish will breed in the pool? What cover will you provide for the babies?
Fogelhund

Return to General Aquaria Discussion