General Aquaria Discussion • Pleco Battle??

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Pleco Battle??

Postby Hooked! » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Has anyone experienced issues between an Albino Bristlenose Pleco and a Rubbernose Pleco?
I witnessed my rubbernose attack my bristlenose this afternoon
Bristlenose is around 4" and the rubbernose is only about 2" - the rubbernose bit and stayed attached for several seconds as the Bristlenose thrashed around.
Just curious, I have never heard of issues between these two breeds.
Is the size difference the issue? Could it be a different sex thing?
Just looking for some possible reasons or advice on what could be done to avoid future issues.
I have had the Bristlenose a while, the rubbernose is a fairly new addition 3 1/2 weeks.
Hooked!

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pleco Battle??

Postby DJRansome » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Was damage done? What is the tank size? I'd probably stick to one pleco/tank unless we are talking about a 72" tank.
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:17 am

plecos, like most other fish, will fight over territories. It isn't unusual at all.
Fogelhund

Postby Hooked! » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 am

DJRansome wrote:Was damage done? What is the tank size? I'd probably stick to one pleco/tank unless we are talking about a 72" tank.

I don't think any damage was done, the attacked retreated quickly to his normal cave, so it was hard tell. The Bristlenose is a fairly rare sight as he hides 90% of the time. The rubbernose on the other hand is out most of the time in his favorite spot. That is where the trouble happened, so I think it is a territory thing.
Tank size is 45 Gal. for now, everything in it is < 2" - bristlenose is largest fish in there. Upgrading to much larger in about 6 mos.
Hooked!

Return to General Aquaria Discussion