General Aquaria Discussion • tank stocking help

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

tank stocking help

Postby Cichlid boy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 am

I have an area that my mom said that I could use for a fish tank. its 18.75" wide and 13" deep. I can fit 3 2.5 gallon tanks. I was thinking a 10 but it won fit. I want your guys' input for what I should put in them. I was thinking 1 for red cherry shrimp and one for a killifish but nothing for the last. let me know your ideas. or if my ideas will even work.

thanks
Cichlid boy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: tank stocking help

Postby Cichlid boy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Anyone?
Cichlid boy

Postby Granamyr » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Why not do 3 different types of shrimp? 2.5 is awfully small for almost any fish maybe a betta but other than that I think it's too small for any fish
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 4 Guianacara Owroewefi 3 Apistogramma Baenschi 8 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128) 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
Granamyr

Postby Mr Chromedome » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Granamyr wrote:Why not do 3 different types of shrimp? 2.5 is awfully small for almost any fish maybe a betta but other than that I think it's too small for any fish

Obviously you've never kept any Killifish, unless it was Golden Wonders. There are many Killifish that will do well in a 2.5 gallon tank, even breed. Many killifish experts keep killifish pairs in 2.5 gallon tanks, often for their entire lives. I've known a couple who had racks of small tanks for killies. It is easier to keep 40-50 species in a smaller space when you use small tanks. I like species of the subgenus (or Genus, depending on who you ask) Chromaphyosemion. There are also several small Rivulins in Laimosemion, if you accept the revision (Rivulus if you don't!).

Another fish that might be kept in a small tank is Heterandria formosa, called the Least Killifish even though it is a livebearer. They do not have huge spawns like other livebearers, but have a fry a day for several days, as they are fertilized differently due to the small size of the fish (smallest vertebrate in North America). They are actually more attractive than you would expect; it's just hard to see the color because they are so tiny!

I've kept a few other small fish in small tanks over the years, they aren't coming to me off the top of my head at the moment, though.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby Granamyr » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:Obviously you've never kept any Killifish, unless it was Golden Wonders. There are many Killifish that will do well in a 2.5 gallon tank, even breed. Many killifish experts keep killifish pairs in 2.5 gallon tanks, often for their entire lives. I've known a couple who had racks of small tanks for killies. It is easier to keep 40-50 species in a smaller space when you use small tanks. I like species of the subgenus (or Genus, depending on who you ask) Chromaphyosemion. There are also several small Rivulins in Laimosemion, if you accept the revision (Rivulus if you don't!).

You are correct the only killi species I have kept is a golden wonder. So when I see killifish that's what I think of as well.
90 gallon
4 Threadfin Acara 4 Guianacara Owroewefi 3 Apistogramma Baenschi 8 Emperor Tetras
1 Blue Phantom Pleco (L128) 1 Orange Seam Pleco (L106)
Granamyr

Postby iamabug » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:03 pm

My son has a 2.5gallon with pumpkin, snowball, and cherry shrimp. Think he has 10 total. My daughter has a 2.5gallon with 1 Crowntail Betta and 5 neon tetras.

Both tanks have the Aquaclear mini filter on it. Water changes are done every 2 days due to evaporating and the water gets dirty ASAP.

Both have been up and running for 3months and no issues.
iamabug

Postby Cichlid boy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone just what I was looking for.

Mr. Chromedome thanks ill look into the least killis I love black stripe/s

Also Granamyr I was thinking of another shrimp species.

It's all going to depend on what is available when I order everything
Cichlid boy

Return to General Aquaria Discussion