General Aquaria Discussion • Blending Cichlid Fish?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Blending Cichlid Fish?

Postby cywclover » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Hello, I'm hoping to buy a Giraffe Cichlid and join it to my tank that currently has one Pink Convict- they are both males.
Please let me know if this will work??? It's a large tank and I will likely add a large Pleco and any other Cichlids that I found out would be a match.
I had lost my other Pink Convicts (in my male tank) from what seemed to be disease. We've been treating the last guy and he seems to be doing well.
I don't want him to live in there alone for much longer. Thank you thank you!!
cywclover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Blending Cichlid Fish?

Postby DJRansome » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:39 pm

What are the dimensions of the tank? The Giraffe (Nimbochromis venustus) grows to 10.5 inches. Is your tank 72" long?
125G Borleyi, Maleri, Astatotilapia, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Petricola
55G Chrysonotus; 38G Demasoni
33G Hara; 33G Kwanga; 33G Maingano; 33G Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby CeeJay » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:21 am

Please take some time and read up on the fish you want to keep. Nimbochromis venustus is a predator fish and can be quite aggressive I have had two in my tank for 9 months there just about 6" and my hopes are to see them 10.5". They have large mouths and can swallow a pretty good size fish. You need a pretty big tank and good filtration to get them to there maximum size and to keep them in good health.
CeeJay

Postby siklid245 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:54 pm

I've kept one large venustus (proabably 10 inches) in a very populated 125 before. Man was that guy a terror, I'm not sure why he was so over aggressive but that guy had about 10 or so other fish, medium (5-6 inches) and large (6 plus up to 12 inches) all pushed to one half!

But knowing convicts they are always up for a fight... I wouldn't expect long term success though. Goodluck if you try, could be fun to watch.
-
-
I would recommend getting a female convict instead, I think you would have much more fun watching them court and breed. The huge draw to cichlids is watching their interactions with each other, which you get double the entertainment when you get to see them change colors from being in their breeding "dress" and behavior associated with that.
siklid245

Postby elenor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:10 am

The ideas seem to be nice. Hope this would work for you. Best wishes.
elenor

Return to General Aquaria Discussion